Sign in to follow this  
bassprofishguy

carbon fiber...

i got some carbon fiber left over from body work on a racer we did,im thinking of taking some and tracing some of my bc handles and making some carbon handles for them..anyone ever do/attempt this??nay/yay?

I do carbon skinned grips. It's basically a laminate set up over a foam core. I guess you could do it over cork. I'd seal the cork first if that is your base.

I'm using carbon weave tubing, so I imagine you'd need to be creative with the seam. Sounds like you got some experience there!

Here's a couple examples. The top two have a bumpy texture and the bottom one is smooth. I prefer the look of the smooth but the feel of the textured. Never had any problems with wear, slipping, or anything like that. Very durable.

post-21594-130162926471_thumb.jpg

post-21594-130162926475_thumb.jpg

carbon fiber. it's a tube (tube is flat in this picture). Think like the finger traps you played with as a kid. You push it (expand) and slide it over the grip core, pull it tight and it conforms to the shape. I then laminate it with an epoxy and then there are a few different techniques to get the surface I want. Hardest part to me is getting the fibers to stay straight when you first cinch it down. Using this stuff you don't have a seam.

post-21594-130162926478_thumb.jpg

the stuff i got is hard carbon fiber for auto use to like build spoliers and bodykits for cars...so ill actually be making a handle not covering one in like what you have,but thanks anyways.

If you have the proper equipment, you will be able to make the handle rigid enough.

The carbon fiber used on helicopters, ducts for cooling on race cars, and even rocker arm covers on racing engines, goes through a complicated process.

Once "laid up" (usually in a vacuum bagging process to get rid of excess resin and any air), the part goes into an autoclave and goes through several steps involving temperature and pressure changes, which gives it the required stiffness.

Indy car bodies, funny car bodies, and even rowing shells are put in autoclaves to "temper" the composite.

If you've got the product, the know how and the equipment, go for it.  Lacking the autoclave to temper the resin, and the know how to use it, you'll end up with a flexible handle.

ive got all the tools to cut it and so on and this stuff was/is used for super tuner cars (sport compacts) carbon fiber car hoods/mirrors and so on,so i know it has the strength.but thanks

Let us know how you make out.

I have a bit of experience with composites, and looked into making some carbon fiber parts until I found out an autoclave was needed to provide stiffness without excessive thickness in those parts.

I make fiberglass race car bodies. Beginning with the car below, cars with my bodies took first place in the World of Wheels show, race car division five years in a row.

There is no paint on the body of the car.  All the color is in the gel coat.

Picture089.jpg

I don't think these people understand that your carbon fiber is already hardened and set in resin. If your product is the right thickness (witch auto spoiler sounds about right). You could make some nice carbon fiber handles. you might have to swap out the actual finger and thumb pad for the kind you screw on if you have the cheaper variety with no bearings and just riveted on. I say go for it. let us know how it turns out. In my mind thickness would be the key ie: too thick = no weight savings but coolness factor could be your thing.

skno

yea the stuff i got is already solid as steel and its about as think as the handle already its pretty close,i duuno ima attempt this i think and ill post pics when done.

I bet it wil turn out great and your fishin buds will want you to make them a couple too. For the right price of course.  ;D

Now if we could just get Fishin Rihno to make us all some of those red number 88 handles........ quantum ;hasnt even pulled that off YET. ;D

I'm not using an autoclave or vacuum bagging and this is more than hard enough for the intended purpose and can be done rather inexpensively.

huh??? anyways,ive already got like 5 handles traced out and the carbon fiber is like 1/32 if that thicker then the handles but im in the mid of moving so all my tools are packed but once i get settled in ima cut these boys out and have some sweeeeeet lookn reels haha...thats right *** boys.pics to come soon