Sign in to follow this  
JellyMan

I'm An Idiot! LOL

Ok well I have been using baitcasters for nearly 12 years. Funny thing is... I just figured out what the knob under the drag does. I know I know... what a jackass right!!!? I said the same thing lol. ::)

Question is, Which should I fine tune for bait switches. I use 1 rod and reel when I fish so I switch baits often. Should I fine tune the brake or the spool pressure when switching heavy to light? :-/

I messed with it a bit today. I had on a 3/8 jig and chunk and fine tuned my reel for it. It was awesome. Then I put on a weitless brush hog, changed the spool tension but not the brakes and was getting slightly birds nested. Then messed with brakes and had lowsy distance. The best setup was when it was setup for my heavy jig. The lack of weight didnt change anything exept I had to throw it harder. :)

Insight???

BTW... BPS Johnny Morris Signature Series in 6:4:1

I rarely if ever mess with the brakes and just use more or less thumb if needed when switching baits. However in your case I think that reel has both magnetic and centripetal so you could fine tune the magnetic. Definitely fine tune the spool tension.

Heavier baits cast with less problems so what you're experiencing is normal. The weightless brushhog will be affected by air resistance slowing it down more quickly (than the heavier lure) and thus causing the slight birdsnesting.

JellyMan,

Try a little reading here.....

http://www.***/education/baitcaster-setup-101.html

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!

Adjust spool tension for the weight of the lure, and brakes to the casting conditions.

Adjust spool tension for the weight of the lure, and brakes to the casting conditions.

I dont understand this...I just use spool tension because to me they seem to do the same thing....I cant tell the difference what each other is for.

I dont understand this...I just use spool tension because to me they seem to do the same thing....I cant tell the difference what each other is for.

What kind of reel and what type of brakes?

Thanks a bunch guys.

I just stated what each is for, what so confusing? Visit Reel Mech's link for more in depth info. The spool tension is just that - spool tension. Its constant. Depending on the brake design, it may or may not be constant. In the case of centrifugal brakes, the resistance is greatest when spool speed is greatest. In the case of some of the better magnetic systems, such as Daiwa's Mag - V/Z systems, resistance from the brakes is greatest at startup, and tapers off throughout the duration of the cast.