Sign in to follow this  
Vinny Chase

Daiwa Exceler 7.1 vs Shamano Catica

I am looking for something that will help me with backlashing but still will cast a mile...which one out of these two would be better? or if theres something ranging from $70-$100 that you think would be a good fit for me let me know

Thanks

Im not a shimano praiser but I have heard that most of their reels are a good value in their price ranges.  I have a few excelers and they are excellent reels for the money.  They have good backlash controls just like all of the diawa line IMO.  

There shouldn't even be a question.  The Citica is a tank.  The Exceller is one of Daiwa's budget reels.

There shouldn't even be a question. The Citica is a tank. The Exceller is one of Daiwa's budget reels.

sooo ur saying go with the shimano?

I have 2 exelers and I would recommend them to anyone. I love them. And I'm no shimano fan by any means, but I think the citica is probably your best bet.

Make sure you are not buying a "Shamano Catica" as I have never heard of that model.

In the price range you listed, you can buy a Shimano Citica and it is a great reel.   ;)

I handled the citca at Gander Mountain, it feels very well built, nice and small and everything seems to nice and smooth. Also look on ebay for last years tour edition pt, it is a nice reel.

if your primary concern is with backlashing, i'd recommend going to a reel with centrifugal brakes (e.g., shimano citica E). excelers  are fine (i had one) but can be fussy and are harder to cast well for those who don't have a trained thumb.