Sign in to follow this  
catchnm

Sounding off on the Citica 200E

Alrighty guys these have been out for almost a year now and yet not much buzz around the forums on them. That usually means it's just a mediocre reel. I have one, got it off Ebay for $114 early fall last year. Have fished it quite a few times now and in my opinion it rates almost equal to the D models in performance, but slightly under. Mine tends to get the line between the spool and the frame occasionally, never happens with my D's, is a little more sensitive in the braking adjustments, an the finish appears a bit thinner, already got a nick or two and that hasn't happened on my D's yet either. On the plus side of course, is the smaller size and lighter weight. Both seem to cast equal distances with the same line on each, both run smoothly, drag seems to be at equal tolerances. I believe if Shimano hadn't pulled the extra bearing on the E model as compared to the D model they would have had a real winner. Weight would have been a bit more but still lighter than the D's. The fact that the E models are Japanese versus Malaysian for the D's was the main reason I purchased the E, loved my old green Japanese Curados, but it hasn't been a noticeable factor on the E at all.

Would I buy another? Yep I would buy another one or two but they would have to be discounted a bit more than the $6 I saved on the one I have, certainly wouldn't pay retail.

All in all.....in my opinion.......the Citica 200E is a good reel for the retail price, would be a great reel, and would have been a front runner among all reels priced in the $90-$100 retail bracket if Shimano had priced them there when when they came out.

Looking forward to I-Cast to see what they have for us this year.

I allowed the poll to be open for more than one vote per post, so go for it guys, let's see what ya think. ;)

It's really not fair for me to vote on this poll, I am not a Shimano person. But I have nothing negative to say about them. As a matter of fact I still have a Shimano crestfire from when I was young and it still works. It was my fresh and salt reel. Also my first baitcaster ever was a Shimano SG, and I loved it. Now I'm all about ABU and Daiwa.

You're crazy. My E casts better and has a much smoother retrieve than my D. I honestly don't think the Citica E is that far off from my Fuego.

I love the E and thought the D was okay.  I have 3 of them and one curado.  Clearly they are not as good as the curado, but for the price they cannot be beat.  This is the only baitcaster I will buy for awhile.

i had some Ds and was not a fan. the Es, however, rock. however, i've been finding the citica to be too much of a "tweener" and have been instead reaching for my curado E5s and E7s.

Revo S for under $100 new on Ebay!!!!!!!!

As I said, you will not find a better reel for $120 or less.  The Revo S, while not a bad reel, can't touch the Citica 200E with a 5 meter carp rod.

Revo S for under $100 new on Ebay!!!!!!!!

As I said, you will not find a better reel for $120 or less. The Revo S, while not a bad reel, can't touch the Citica 200E with a 5 meter carp rod.

How do you figure that one!?!

I have owned and used three Citica Es FYI(don't tell anyone that)! I tossed em all for Revos(STX, SX mainly)! Does that make us both experts on them?

I tossed em all for Revos(STX, SX mainly)! Does that make us both experts on them?

No Revo S's?

Forget both of them and do yourself a favor and get a Daiwa Tierra and live the good life.  

And yes I have had a revo and the citica.  

I tossed em all for Revos(STX, SX mainly)! Does that make us both experts on them?

No Revo S's?

Yes, i have two S models that i use for crankin and spinner baits! I love them BTW! But i have more of the STX and SX(10 to be exact)!!!   ;D