Sign in to follow this  
DINK WHISPERER

G-Blanks custom rod?????

Hey all!

I am looking into having a new worm rod made by G-Blanks. Has anyone had any experience with these rods? They are using the RX7 and RX8 blanks now. I would mainly like to here about the sensitivity and power of the blanks? What other rods do they compare to? How stiff are the H/F and ExH/F blanks? Any help is appreciated!

I had two built back in 2004. I didn't end up buying them; he was waiting on a shipment of blanks, and I purchased some Loomis rods in the meantime. Gblanks had a booth at the OKC tackle show literally the next week, and I saw my two rods for sale....the only two with black foam and silver winding checks ;). He's a nice guy and makes great rods....probably the best deal in custom rods period. You just email him what you want, and he delivers.  I will say the black foam with silver checks looked badassss.

probably the best deal in custom rods period.

X2  Can't beat the price for custom rods.

I have a M 6'8" and a MH 6'6" and I luv em. On the M I fish 10lb mono and it is very sensitive as I use it for finesse type stuff. The MH I use 30lb braid with a floru leader and you can feel the fish just looking at your lure. Both are RX7. For the price not much else out there that matches up IMHO.

What other rods do they compare to? How stiff are the H/F and ExH/F blanks?

Dink- I think you'll like the batson blanks... they are heavier tipped and rated similar to the St. Croix bass rods. I have a 843 RX7 and an 844 RX8. The 844 is definitely like a St. Croix Heavy. And the 843 like the MH.

(In Loomis speak, that would be a [5 power]mag heavy and a [4power] heavy.)

Dink- I think you'll like the batson blanks... they are heavier tipped and rated similar to the St. Croix bass rods. I have a 843 RX7 and an 844 RX8. The 844 is definitely like a St. Croix Heavy. And the 843 like the MH.

(In Loomis speak, that would be a [5 power]mag heavy and a [4power] heavy.)

Flechero,

If given a choice between the RX8 rod and a Loomis MossyBack 855, which would you go with? Which is more sensitive?

never held a mossyback and can't even give you a comparison to IMX since the RX8 isn't finished yet...  I haven't fished it.

But from what we have talked about I think you'll like st. croix over loomis...  too bad you weren't local, you could take all the rods in question to the lake.  :-/

never held a mossyback and can't even give you a comparison to IMX since the RX8 isn't finished yet... I haven't fished it.

But from what we have talked about I think you'll like st. croix over loomis... too bad you weren't local, you could take all the rods in question to the lake. :-/

You are the third builder to tell me to go with St. Croix! I am seriously considering it. I loved the stiffness of the St. Croix Mojo but it is not sensitive enough for me nor does it have Fuji guides.  ;)

What St. Croix would you recommend going by most sensitive, strongest and stiffest?

THANKS

Hey keith, dink,  did you know the RX8 is a St.Croix blank built for Batson.... ;)

Hey keith, dink, did you know the RX8 is a St.Croix blank built for Batson.... ;)

Nope, I wasn't aware of that. But like I said it feels just like one! ...lol  The MB844 RX8 I'm building is going to be the replacement for my c-rig rod (5C70HF), if I like it as much as I think I will.

Dink,

Legend Tourney or Legend Elites are the blanks (or rods) I'd be looking at, if I were you. I've only built one 3C blank but built it up as a spinning rods so I don't worm fish it.

My guess is that all 3 builders that mentioned St. Croix aren't all wrong. :) And if you go custom, Batson and St. Croix are both options.

Per Karry Batson:

"The RX8+ has crushed graphite fiber scrim as well as a proprietary fiber lay out for hoop strength. This is correct!

The RX8 does not have a crushed graphite fiber scrim.

The RX8+ is made in the USA

The RX8 is made in China featuring modules positioning of RX8 and RX7 graphite materials."

Man, this is too much info for me to take it all in, LOL! Now you are saying there is an RX8+? Geeeez, i will never pick a rod!

RX8+ is a lot more expensive. Great blank though. Easy comparison between a RX8 and a RX8+ with same stats -

7', 10 - 17# line, 1/4 - 3/4 oz lure

RX8 - $117

RX8+ - $217

That is retail price on the blank only.

To translate what Karry said into simple terms - the RX8 has some fiberglass in it to give it strength and it is mulitmodulus (made of different types of graphite fibers).

Geeeez, i will never pick a rod!

Dude, give Larry Mitchell a call and have yourself a Gblanks built. You will not be disappointed.

An older post but I think I can help, if you havent already pulled the trigger on a GBlanks, then get to it and pull,pull,pull. I had George build me a 6.6MXF spinning rod, all black on black, split grip foam.

The blank is the RX8+ and it is absolutly insanly light and incredibly sensitive, I paired it with a TD Tierra 2500.

The rod met and exceded my expextations, I own a Loomis Mossyback and it is one of my favorites, but it will and often does take a backseat to my RX8+ GBlanks.  

If I had thought for 1 second these rods were that good, I would've had George build my casting MH rod before I bought my Loomis. But as I write this I've been speeking with Larry Mitchell to have another one built for me.  I will most likly go back to the RX8+ or possibly the RX8, but rest assured Im buying another.

They are well worth the money, and there is a fellow BR member whom I fish with that will agree.  Doit!!!!!

Thanks guys, i think i will keep looking!

Hey Dink..

I said it before contact some rod builders in Florida (check the yellow pages or do a Google search) and ask them what they would recommend for use in your area waters.

I know your not getting the info that your looking for in rods for your waters.

If you do that then you will best understand what the rod needs..

Again for your area waters.........

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!

An older post but I think I can help, if you havent already pulled the trigger on a GBlanks, then get to it and pull,pull,pull. I had George build me a 6.6MXF spinning rod, all black on black, split grip foam.

The blank is the RX8+ and it is absolutly insanly light and incredibly sensitive, I paired it with a TD Tierra 2500.

The rod met and exceded my expextations, I own a Loomis Mossyback and it is one of my favorites, but it will and often does take a backseat to my RX8+ GBlanks.

If I had thought for 1 second these rods were that good, I would've had George build my casting MH rod before I bought my Loomis. But as I write this I've been speeking with Larry Mitchell to have another one built for me. I will most likly go back to the RX8+ or possibly the RX8, but rest assured Im buying another.

They are well worth the money, and there is a fellow BR member whom I fish with that will agree. Doit!!!!!

He told me the RX8 only came in a platinum color!?! That is why i called the deal off(i wanted black)! Oh well, i gave up looking and just stuck with my Powell Rods. I did talk with many builders(local and on line) but did not come to terms with any of them! I guess the rod i want just doesn't exist! THANKS ALL

The RX8+ is black. The RX8 is titanium something (silver looking sorta). Significant price difference. Look at 6 posts up.

Dink,  gblanks@cox.net  like another BR member stated, give Larry a shout he can help you make the decission you need. cidgrad is 100% correct the RX8+ is black, and the RX8 is a Titanium Chrome I did the 8+ for my first, but just ordered another rod in the RX8, after talking to Larry for a couple days via emails I chose to pull the trigger in the RX8, the blanks vary little in weight and construction and for the type of fishing I do I seriously doubt a weekender like myself will notice the difference.

I like my 8+ and although Im not a professional Im sure the 8 will do me just fine, but I'll put my GBlanks up against any rod in that price range.  Like I mentioned and others before me, give Larry a shout.

check out these links.

http://www.batsonenterprises.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=128&Itemid=185

http://www.batsonenterprises.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=128&Itemid=185