Sign in to follow this  
Lard_Bass

P-Line CXX Memory

Okay,

I bought a spool of 10 lb for my new Carrot Stix and Curado 200e7 setup.  I noticed this has more memory than I am used to.  While I was putting it on my baitcaster, I sprayed KVD after every 12 turns.  Does the memory eventually go away or is it here to stay?

Any tips on using this line on a baitcaster?

I have the exact same setup even with the P-Line. There will be a little memory. I have even sprayed it with KVD Line and Lure. In my personal experience (people will blast me for this) KVD does't make much of a difference on copoly lines. Trilene 100% is much more memory free. I can tell a difference with the KVD Line and Lure on flouros. The memory on the P-Line CXX is not really enough to upset me though...

So my suggestion is: P-Line CXX is excellent line, but if you are unsatisfied try Trilene 100%.

Conditioner will help, but I find that the spool 'memory' of any line lasts just a few casts.  Water absorbtion and the tension of working baits works it out.  The only exception would be really thick line, which is just harder to work with no matter what you do.  CXX is tame until you hit the 17lb mark.  There is quite a leap in manageability between the 15 and 17lb tests.  That said....CXX isn't a wine cooler....it's Wild Turkey straight up in a dirty highball  ;)

If you want strength and abrasion resistance, you will have to sacrifice somewhere. CXX isn't a finesse line, it will simply jerk a knot in a fish's ***.

I love CXX and part of having all its advantages is dealing with a little memory.  KVD will greatly help that and basically elimanate the lines flaws.  However, you shouldn't have issues straight of the shelf.  Either you didn't spool the line tight, spooled it the wrong way off the spool or purchased old line straight off the shelf.

I will be the first to admit that if you are going to fish cxx you just have to prepare yourself for a little memory, and its only a little if you use KVD.  I would rather deal with a little memory though than fish breaking me of in the stump infested lakes I fish.    It should never, ever have memory on the first cast.

go toss a big, heavy spinnerbait as far as you can and then retrieve it back as fast as possible. Do that a couple times and it might help straighten your line out.

Tie you line to something sturdy. Walk away and reel in with alot of tension. It tightens the line on the spool which makes it cast better and it also makes it easier more managable. I do this with all lines.

One thing that helps with CXX is to buy the bulk spools.

BINGO!  I use TONS of line on my swimbait rods (20#-30#)  While I DO notice a big difference with the use of KVD, it only holds it's "Limpness" for one trip.  I usually re apply it the night before my trips and respool every three trips or so.  When it comes to $100+ swimbaits... I don't take any chances.

There are other choices with much less memory that are just

as strong and just as tough as P-Line. I was a fan for many

years, but found better alternatives. Gamma is one, Hybrid

is another.

Many of our members recommend braid as a main line with

a copolymer or fluorocarbon leader. This would address all

your issues with coiling.

8-)

How does the CXX compare to Berkley XT?

YZ Hybrid has just as much memory as CXX.

Or MORE!

:-X