Sign in to follow this  
Micro

Remember the old Curado B?

I found a local store that still has some new in the box that never sold. Just sitting there beside newer models that seems to be selling well.

Does anyone remember the MSRP of the of Curado B? IIRC, the Curado B MSRP was $109, and the SF version was $129 (that's the sticker price on them)? Does that sound right? There are a couple of SFs in, I think, 6.3:1 and some in 5:1, which I don't think are super frees.

I sure as heck won't offer the sticker price. What do you think a fair offer would be for these reels?

I don't remember what I paid for mine back then but those prices sound about right.  If you can score a deal on those 5:1's send me a PM.  

I saw several this morning.  One had the deep spool, others had the ported spool.  I know one had 5:1 on the front near the Bantam roding, and the others had boxes saying 6.?:1.  They were sitting in an old glass case along with a bunch of older Abu round reels.  

I just went up there to see what they wanted for them and what I could get them for.

They have 5 NIB Curado Bs.  All 200s it looks like.  They have 2 SFs in 6.2:1, 1 deep spool in 6.2:1, 1 deep spool in 5.0:1 and 1 deep spool in 3.8:1.  I'm interested in the SFs and the 3.8:1 deep spool.

Sticker prices on the SFs are $179 :o and sticker on the deep spools are $129.  

I ask the fellow at the counter if the owner was in.  Of course, he wasn't.  But the manager was.   He agreed to knock $10 off any reel I wanted.  I told him the price on the SFs is $30 higher than the MSRP 5+ years ago, and even with $10 off is was $20 higher.  The price on the deep spools are likewise too high.   I offered $100 for the SFs and $79 for the deep spools.  He called me a "highway robber."  I chuckled and told him these reels had been sitting around for years - unsold.   He told me the owner paid $119 for the SFs and $99 for deep spools.  He had to make a profit.  I countered that he paid that 5+ years ago and hasn't sold them.  He can sell them and recoup something on his purchase, or he can sit on them for many more years and make squat.   He told me to come back on Monday and talk to the owner, but warned me he was "tight."  

Anyways, that's where it stands.  

BTW, is the 3.8:1 reel a good buy at $119 (which is what he told me he would sell it for)?

The reels are in perfect condition - all papers, clean boxes.

If the owner was smart he'd put those on Ebay.  That's about the right price for NIB Curado B's these days.

I don't think the owner knows what a computer is.   And this store is known for high prices.  It's been around longer than I can remember.  It has a loyal following in my area - of old folks who just just won't go anywhere else.  When I was there, there was one guy behind the counter putting a tip on an old beat up rod for an old customer.  He charged $20.  That guy could have replaced that beater rod for $35 at Bass Pro, which is just a few miles away.  

That's the way it is there.  An old store run by old men who are stuck in time.  I doubt I'll be able to convince the owner to give me a better price.  He'll probably be content to sit on those reels until he dies instead of taking what he paid for them.

Most of the $90 prices your seeing for the old greenies is due to the conditions they are in when listed for sale. Getting the sticker price for a truly unused reel with the papers in the original box un-damaged, would garner those prices in any good tackle shop.

An old store run by old men who are stuck in time.
Yup true Americana. I am an old man in business (for a long time now), and yup I might be stuck in time. But when I price a product in my shop it is because that is what it's worth and what I'll take, it's not a open air/flea market and no I wouldn't haggle prices....He probably knows better than you what he has there......

But when I price a product in my shop it is because that is what it's worth and what I'll take, it's not a open air/flea market and no I wouldn't haggle prices....He probably knows better than you what he has there......

He can haggle prices, or he can sit on them 'til they fossilize.  Pride doesn't pay bills.   And "worth" is a relative term.   If it won't sell for his asking price, that's not its worth to a buyer.

Micro these old fellas are tough i was over assataegue island and stopped by a place the guy had 5 or 6 morrums  prices were 180 up to 250 they had dust on um i offered a good deal and some brand new in box 5600c4,s he wont budge,the dust was so old on the boxes he could sell them alone on ebay for a SHOCK factor

I think the owner does know what he has and what they are worth. I sold 4 used ones in good condition. I had the original box and papers. I sold mine on e bay for between $160 and $180 each. New in box would bring more than that. They will only go up in value the longer they stay in the box.