Sign in to follow this  
Linesides

Crank Bait Reel Now =)

I'm still digesting the advice some of you guys gave me about a crank bait rod. As I do, I am thinking about a crank bait reel for these deep divers (16' and deeper). I know they require a lower geared reel, but can't find too many that are left-handed. I think the only one I found was the Revo Winch. Are there any other options? Do you any of you own a Winch; if so, how would you rate it??

Thanks again for your help!

Eric

daiwa crazy cranker,

rather than chew up bandwidth, the shimano chorus may just want to choose one individual to represent all of them rather than, well, you know

201dpv. Check ebay can get them for around $100. Slow ration, less IPT and very smooth reel. It is my designated cranking reel. Casts a DD22 40-50 yards with ease

I've owned the following crankbait reels:

Shimano Curado 200DPV 5.0:1 - sold

Abu Garcia Revo Winch 5.4:1 - sold

Team Daiwa Zillion High Power 4.9:1 - still own

The Curado would cast light baits down to a 1/4 oz very well.  It cast heavier baits well.  

The Revo Winch did not handle baits under 1/2 oz as well as the Curado, but cast baits over 1/2 oz as well, or better.  The heavier they were, the better the Winch threw them over the Curado.

The Zillion cast light baits as well as the Curado, and heavy baits as well as the Revo Winch.  

I rate them like this:

1) Zillion - Best all round performer, smooth as butter, built like a beast.  Also the most expensive.

2) Curado - Heavy bait performance was good, but light bait performance makes it a better all-round choice than the Revo Winch.  You can still find these new in stores and on line, sometimes for less than $100.

3) Revo Winch - I just couldn't get great distance with lighter cranks.  The heavier the better with this reel, IMO.  If all you are throwing is DD22s and heavier, or need a swimbait reel, this reel is a good choice.   Cost more than the Curado and less than the Zillion.

You my friend have found the problem most of us left handed crankers have when searching for a cb reel. Micro did a great job breaking the most popular ones down. I would add to those three an older Shimano Chronarch 101BPV. I have not used any of these, but I can imagine the Chronarch would be smoother than the Curado and throw light cranks well. I do not know how it would compare to the Daiwa however.

I am in the same boat as you. I ended up getting a Revo S for my medium/deep divers with the idea to put 5:1 gears in it. I decided against the gear swap and just crank slower for now. I plan to move the Revo S to a flippin rod once a new LH crankin reel comes out.

I am hoping by the end of July I will have my eyes on a LH Chronarch D5 if Shimano puts one out at ICAST. If not, I may be forced to pick up the Daiwa. If you can wait, maybe see what Shimano has up their sleeve in the next few weeks before making a purchase. ;)

The Zillion cast light baits as well as the Curado, and heavy baits as well as the Revo Winch.

as it should... it costs about as much as the both of them, combined.   ;)

as it should... it costs about as much as the both of them, combined. ;)

My thoughts exactly