Sign in to follow this  
NewAngler

new rod/reel input

so I've been fishing with this shakespere telescope rod/reel spinning combo for about 2 months now and cannot stand. I've been looking around for what I would like, and what I would like to pay. Based on sheer simpleness (so I think) I wanted to get a baitcast rod/reel combo. Its $100 at Gander Mtn. Forgot brand, but any input or inside info on baitcast systems?

I also don't know how long I should get it. I'm 6 feet, and wanna catch some big fellas.

Newb needs help!

New Angler,

Depends what type of fishing you do.  Spinner baits, C-rigs, Pitchin flippin jigs, crank baits.  As always you get what you pay for.  Bait caster vs. spinners, as your skills improve you'll want a baitcaster, etc..  You'll need to match you reel to your rod and then get the right line.. Mono, Braid, or Flouro...  Your best bet is to do some research and figure out the technique you will use.  An all around rig for me is a 6:4-1 baitcaster on a 7" MH rod with 14lb mono.  Everyone has different tastes. ;)

TR went through the general baitcaster info. If you want more specific opinions, you might want to post the specific rod/reel.

Just make sure you realize that baitcasters require practice to learn. You don't just push a button and cast the lure, there is more to it than that.

here is the one i'm looking into getting.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=401573&pdesc=Pflueger_Echelon_Freshwater_Baitcasting_Combo_Rod_Reel&cname=Baitcast-Combos&aID=504A3A&merchID=4006&r=view

any good? i'm willing to learn how to use the baitcast reel, i just hope its slightly easier than quantum physics.

NewAngler,

Dan is absolutely right, baitcasters take practice and require adjustments.  Professional overruns (Bird nesting) happens often, and you learn to carry multiple rods after one becomes decomissioned.

do you guys suggest i not get one, based on the complexity? i just dig the way the look, and i fish a few times a week now.. should i stick it out with my spin reel for now?

Everyone gets a baitcaster at some point, it's a question of sooner than later.  It can be a $100 or $300 they have the same mechanics but different qualities (bearings, ratios, braking, etc.).  Start with what you can afford, see if you like baitcasters, if not, you keep using spinning outfits.

thanks. i'm gonna try it out.

Maybe i'll catch some fish now!

is bass shore fishing nearly impossible in the summer months?

question one

its never to early to start using a baitcaster i started with one when i was in the 5th grade and was fluid with it by the sixth grade. like the posts above they take practice i would recommend getting a big weight like half ounce or an ounce and go to a big open field just cast the crap out of it till you get the holding your thumb down thing mastered.

question 2 all i usually fish is shore fishing and i seem to produce average numbers. nothing like if i was in a boat but still good numbers. with a bait caster you will be able to reach farther and get in better tighter places as your skill with them gets more developed. ;)

here is the one i'm looking into getting.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=401573&pdesc=Pflueger_Echelon_Freshwater_Baitcasting_Combo_Rod_Reel&cname=Baitcast-Combos&aID=504A3A&merchID=4006&r=view

any good? i'm willing to learn how to use the baitcast reel, i just hope its slightly easier than quantum physics.

I have that same exact setup at home it is my main pole i fish right now and works great real smooth cast not hard to get used to not overly heavy but not super light like a turnie reel. as a starter ide say that is perfect.  ;)

gander has a good return policy... if you dont like it just exchange it for a spinning combo, but make sure u give it adequate time so u can learn how to use a baitcaster.

if sheer simpleness is what you want, go for a quality spinning reel, especially if your a novice......

you definetly need an upgrade though if you want to pursue any further.

you can find many shimano spinning combos for 100 and under.

Posted by: T.R. Express      Posted on: Today at 10:52am

Everyone gets a baitcaster at some point, it's a question of sooner than later.  It can be a $100 or $300 they have the same mechanics but different qualities (bearings, ratios, braking, etc.).  Start with what you can afford, see if you like baitcasters, if not, you keep using spinning outfits.

and T.R., we all dont make the switch......... although i agree... most do.

ive had my hand at quite a few BC's, but the darn things tick me off till no end...... even after i was quite proficient with them..... ive been fishing spinning gear for around 16yrs now and see no need to change......

im sure fish chris and sirsnook shall agree, spinners get the job done.

Some of us (me) prefer to use our "spinning" rigs, i.e. for light lures like weightless plastic's, cranks, ect..Don't go out and buy a bc just cuz they look "cool"..get something that you can Catch fish with, and feel comfy using, everyone has their personal prefences. ;)

well to be honest that was my first intial reason for the BC, because it looked cool. but the more i read about it im facinated and anxious to master it. thanks for the input, fellas.

Baitcasters are easy. Just turn the little knob behind the handle until the lure will slowly freefall with the button depressed. Set the magnetic spool control at the halfway mark and adjust both a little here and there until you stop getting backlashes. Spend about thirty minutes in the back yard or out in the street with a 1/2 oz weight or washer. Then go fishing. Its not like you're building a rocket ship. Baitcaster = Easy.

;)

That combo is a great starter combo. Pfleuger makes some good stuff, and when you get proficient with it you will be back at gander to upgrade, I guarantee it. Good Luck!