Sign in to follow this  
okiefisher8

Quantum Energy...need advice

Academy has the quantum energy saltwater baitcast reel on sale for $99. I am wanting to get into baitcasting and wanted to know what you guys think of this reel and if this is a good deal? Also, I already have a symetre 2500 on a 6'6 mh falcon cara. I am wanting to use these rods/reels for different purposes. not quite sure what, so I am open to suggestions on that too. If I were to get the Quantum what gear ratio should I go with and what would some rod recomendations be length and action wise? Im gonna stick with Falcon rods because I get 40% off so I am more worried about the length/action.  Sorry for so many questions, I am just completely new to baitcasting

Thanks,

Jon

atleast let me know what gear ratio I should go with, itll be more of an all around rod, but I think ill be using my spinning gear for worms and things like that

i personally dont mind, but i have had no issues with quantum. as with the gear ratio probably 6:3:1 or something of that like. a overall rod would probably be a 6'6" to 7' rod in mh would probably be the best bet.

atleast let me know what gear ratio I should go with, itll be more of an all around rod, but I think ill be using my spinning gear for worms and things like that

6.2:1 is a universal gear ratio. As far as Quantum goes...

Ive never used quantum, im personally a shimano man myself, but it just looks like a deal I cant pass up, a $220 reel for $100, thats hard to beat.  Would you say a $100 Shimano is better than a $220 quantum?

Would you say a $100 Shimano is better than a $220 quantum?

Yes, you might be able to find a deal on a Citica around $100.

MSRP is $120.

8-)

Ive never used quantum, im personally a shimano man myself, but it just looks like a deal I cant pass up, a $220 reel for $100, thats hard to beat. Would you say a $100 Shimano is better than a $220 quantum?

I can't speak on the Shimano but I do have the Quantum Energy and it's a great reel and I got a ebay deal on mine as well and performs well on a 6'6" Cabelas MH XMLTi. I'm able to use it with some lighter lures with no problem and the reel is nice n smooth.

Thanks for the advice although I went ahead and bought it after going into the falcon rods store and them suggesting I jump on that deal, if I dont like it I will be able to return it anyways, you can pretty much return anything at academy

Well I might actually return it, the chronarch is going to go on sale for a price I cant refuse, how much better is the chronarch than the curado?

Thanks

The Curado is an excellent reel.  However, after having used the Chronarch for the last 6 months all I can say is that it is a dream.  The Curado leaves little to be desired and the Chronarch even less.  If you find a deal grab one..or two... ;)