Sign in to follow this  
carrothead

Berkley Cherrywood

Is this rod any good at all?  I don't really care if it's excellent right now, as I would just like to have a decent spinning rod to go with my super awesome-2 Bearing-Shakespeare Spinning Reel.  Now, don't be gettin' all jealous just because my stuff's better than yours.    ;D

I broke a 7'm in two the first night i got it casting a 3/16oz tube.  Save some money and get a better rod

Okay, thanks.  I was just wondering if it would hold up decent, not performance.  It looks like I can't go with the extreme cheapy.  I just wanted a rod to go with it because my other one broke...twice.  Until I get a new spinning combo, I need something I can at least use.  Do you think this would be a good choice?

Okay, thanks. I was just wondering if it would hold up decent, not performance. It looks like I can't go with the extreme cheapy. I just wanted a rod to go with it because my other one broke...twice. Until I get a new spinning combo, I need something I can at least use. Do you think this would be a good choice?

You're going to end up spending more money on replacing rods that break like you already have than if you just bought a good rod in the first place.

Between my Dad and I, we probably have 4 or 5 of them and we've never broken 1 of them with all that we've caught on them in the past. We still use them if we go river fishing in the plastic jon boat as we're more likely to break one of them stepping on it in the cramped quarters so we don't use the really good gear.

We have a lot of years/miles on ours with no problems; maybe they are making them even cheaper now.  No clue, just giving you my experience.

Between my Dad and I, we probably have 4 or 5 of them and we've never broken 1 of them with all that we've caught on them in the past. We still use them if we go river fishing in the plastic jon boat as we're more likely to break one of them stepping on it in the cramped quarters so we don't use the really good gear.

We have a lot of years/miles on ours with no problems; maybe they are making them even cheaper now. No clue, just giving you my experience.

I feel that was the problem with mine.  When I returned mine I actually looked at the rods and some of the eyes were crooked and just didn't feel strudy at all

I too broke one on a hook-set into a super dink! They are very brittle and weak man! I would get a Lightning rod instead. They are very stout.

I've got a Cherrywood 5 1/2' medium action baitcasting rod. Been using it (not a lot) over the past 4 years. I mainly use it to drop shot when I'm shore fishing. Haven't broke it yet and it has caught a bunch of bass for me. Not sure I'd like to be limited to only using this one rod, but like the ole' ranger once said, "it'll do to ride the river".  ;)

Ive been to walmart and seen that probaly half of the cherrywood rods had broken tips so I would not get that!

That is most likely the result of those rods being abused by stupid idiots.

For its price the cherrywood rod is a great value. I have a 7' spinning rod that has served me very well.  Matter of fact, my dad insists on using it when he visits and won't even touch my Lamiglas Certified Pro rod.

To each his own.  Barring manufacture defect, the cherrywood or any other rod will serve you just right.

For a cheapo I would look at a Shimano scimitar.  Have caught dinks to shark on them, excellent for $29.95, 1 piece available as well.  I highly recommend.