Sign in to follow this  
RushFan2112

Spinning Reel - Wide Spool vs Thin Spool

Just curious about what a wide spool provides in terms of performance over a thinner spool.  What are the pros and cons of each?  For example, the BPS Johnny Morris Signature has a super-wide spool in comparison to most spinning reels.  Thanks in advance for your replies.  

theory is a wide spool offers bigger loops which straighten out with less resistance ,but then again smaller loops can go through guides with less resistance I think it boils down to one thing LINE size/style;;;example 4 lb trilene XT vs 4lb XL

Wide spool.- less line coiling but it only works for about 1/3 of the spool, once you hit that 1/3 the line has to travel more before it can actually jup from the spool, old spinning reels had wide spool.

Thin spool.- you 'll get a lttle bit more coiling but up your line will have to travel a lot less before it reaches the lip and can jump out of the spool until about 1/2 of the spool.

I fish every day with a buddy that has nothing but old wide spool penns.

He uses a 15/30 ugly stick and his casts pass mine buy at least 15 yds and I have all modern equipment. He uses 20# generic bulk mono, no twist, no coil and boy does it handle larger fish, just a terrific setup.

Only problem is no parts available, repairs are all jerry rigged.

Quote Mark Sosin " Penn, I went back "

I have a BPS Extreme reel which has the same dimensions as a Johnny Morris and I outcast my partner from the back of the boat.  He is using an equivalently priced Shimano.  I have less line twist with the Extreme.  I have two on Johnny Morris Signature rods and they are the best spinning combos that I have ever had!  My partner is questioning his loyalty to Shimano this year.