Sign in to follow this  
drmnbig

Rod advice needed asap!

First off, I'm not one to put a lot of money into my rods so I'm looking for something under $50.

I use an ultralight/light rod and reel for my wade fishing in the local rivers around here.  We catch smallmouth up to about 4-5lbs so I need something strong enough to take it when I get them.  I have been using an old Diawa Triforce for several years but finally snapped it yesterday.  I want something that is under 6' in length and I prefer a little stiffer rod.  I hate casting ultralite rods and the tip just flops around.  I know it's hard to get all this with the price restriction but that what I want.  If any of you can recommend a rod and where to get it I'd surely appreciate it.  

All the major retailers have their in-house rods on sale, all of

the time. NEVER pay full price. Here's an example:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_98372_100002000_100000000_100002000_100-2-0

They claim it's "on sale", but they're usually "on sale".

8-)

The ultimate wading rod is a St Croix PS56MF (Premier Spinning 5'6" medium/fast).  Definitely out of your price range but it is the perfect build for your job.  I have this rod and same model Avid (discontinued now) that I use for the same thing and there is simply nothing better out there.  Buy a cheaper rod now but start saving for the Premier, it really is the ultimate sub 6' rod for wade fishing and the most powerful 5'6" I could find.

To get the power you need for big smallies you'll likely have to consider a 6' rod as your shortest option.  You should be able to find many choices in that length for under $50.

Try Fenwice ultralight rod.  ;)

Make that Fenwick.

Can't type.

Have ace bandage on wrist since I sprained it last week.  ;)

RW nailed it, should have checked his link before I blabbered on.  He just threw you a smokin' deal.  The Bionic Blade in 5'6" M/F should be a great wade rod. ;)