Sign in to follow this  
packman

What rod & reel for weightless plastics

Hey,

I was wondering what y'all thought would be a good casting rod and reel that would work well for weightless plastics? Also what type of line i should use? My budget is around $250.

Thanks a lot for the help i appreciate it!

I throw my weightless plastics on a spinning outfit but for casting I would recommend a 7' m rod with a reel that has a fairly shallow spool like he daiwa sol or a pflueger patriarch lp.  I would use either mono or copoly line for line watching because it floats, some may say braid but I don't like it for anything other than strength.

Buy a Shimano Citica as the reel in combination with a house-brand

rod. The rod should be 6 1/2' or 7', Medium Power/ Fast Action. This

is an example, but NEVER PAY RETAIL, these combos are on

sale all the time:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=netcon&id=0060938123723a&navCount=1&podId=0060938&parentId=cat20285&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=XJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

8-)

Falcon Cara CC-5-167MH-T7

Shimano Calcutta 50B

This rod paired with a Revo STX would be perfect!

The Cabelas XML Ti is on clearance.  These are Cabelas top-of-the-line rods, and sport titanium Recoil guides.  They are normally priced at $190, but can be purchased for $109 (7' medium model).  The 7' medium comes in a 1 and 2 piece versions.  Pair it up with a Citica; it will match nicely  8-).

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=cat21406_feat&id=0030280119418a&navCount=1&podId=0030280&parentId=cat21428&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true