Sign in to follow this  
mrlitetackle

need an UL setup for 100 or under.... any advice??

ive recently started to enjoy UL fishing with my buddies poles.  Mainly for bream, etc..... and when i hook into bass on the gear its simply amazing!!!!

so now im in the market for an UL setup, and i dont like crappy gear.....but yet, i dont want to spend over 100 bucks for the rod and reel, so im kind of in a dilemma.

just wondering if you all have any advice or input.

Cabelas has a 5'6 or 6' UL XML spinning rod (regular price $139) for $49.99. You could add a Pflueger Trion reel for about $40. Could be a good solution.

For the reel, $40 gets you a Pflueger Trion - the 4720 or the slightly larger (but still UL size) 4725. I've been beating mine to death for two seasons now. I can't kill it. My ONLY dislike is the rosewood handle, I'd rather have a soft handle.

The drag on this thing is superb. Seven bearings. Read the reviews, you'll see what I mean.

Now that leaves you $60 for a rod. I had a BPS Micro Lite, but the tip snapped clean off in June while I was away on a fishing trip. Bought a cheap Daiwa to finish the trip out. The Micro Lite was a decent rod, but I'm moving up to a St. Croix Premier for my next UL stick. I was 6 months out of warranty and BPS would not do anything for me.

Fenwick Eagle GT 6' L 59.99 (its plenty light) Plflueger Trion 4720 29.99. Ive taken 5 plus pound LM in florida and 3 plus pound smallies in Tenn. with this exact setup.

Try this reel.  

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-Sahara-750FB-Spinning-Reel-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ110411428605QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b508b2fd&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1240|293%3A2|294%3A50

I have the 500 model paired with 4# CXX.  It's a great ultralight reel. I kinda wish I got the 750 for the extra line it carries for 6# test.  My 500 reel seems great.  I use mine for trout, it casts great.  The drag is very smooth.  I had a couple trout on that made some real good runs and the reel never failed.  Plus.... IT"S A SHIMANO   ;D

As far as the rod.... well I'm still in the market too.  I've been looking for a 4 piece travel rod though.  Good luck, UL's are pretty fun!!!

does this mean youre changing your name to mrultralitetackle?