Sign in to follow this  
Koop

dual purpose flipping / frog rod

Looking at:

Kistler Argon Flip n' Pitch 7'1" Heavy

or

Crucial 7'2 EH/EF

Looking to find the ideal frogging / flipping rod.  Just curious on everyone's thoughts on this.  I have a Powell 683c I will be matching it with.

thoughts? yes ;D.........but they wont help you on your rod choice.never used the 2 your looking at.good luck luck

I use a Kistler Flippin' Special, 7-6 H/MF for both.  Its a little long for frogging, but I make do.

I really like the 7'6"MH crucial, you should give that a look also.

I have not used the Powell rods but I will say that my Kistler Magnesium (the telescopic flipping stick model) is perfect for flipping and pitching and frogs. It has a lot of backbone while also having a soft tip which helps while casting lighter frogs. I use it for jigs and frogs. If the same action carries over to the Argon series then I think you would be very happy with the Kistler.

i use a 7'2 MH XF cumara,its light, strong and fits my hand perfectly.

i have others ie.stronger/longer,but i dont like them as much as the cumara.it just feels right when you pick it up.check one out.

if your in crazy thick weed from shore you might have some issues with power.i fish from shore and a kayak,and it works for me.

I think that for flippin' you really want at least a 7' 6" rod IMO.

I'm getting all hung up over 4" difference of the rods.  I think the 7'5 will work t-rigged weighted senkos along the bottom,cast frogs and flip and pitch well all in one.  Mainly wanted a solid rod to back up the Powell 683c I just bought.

I had looked at the Dobyns, but its a MH.  Wanting something in H for flipping thick cover.

Ok how bout the dobyns 766

Right back to square 1 now ;-)  The Dobyns 766 is 7'6.  The kistler comes in 7'1 and 7'5, my concern is the trade off between frogging and flipping.  Will the 7'1 flip well enough into thick cover to warrant getting it for the better frogging.  

5'11

Thats about my height so the 7'6" rod wont be a problem trying to work a frog and it will be more than capable of getting a bait back into thick cover. :)

I use a Kistler Flippin' Special, 7-6 H/MF for both. Its a little long for frogging, but I make do.

Lot of people would disagree and say 7'10 and 8ft rods are the right size for frogging.

It really depends on what's comfortable, but at the same time, the longer the rod, it definitely gives you a bit of an advantage.

That is a good point. Its a comfort factor for me. I actually think you are probably right though, based on my personal experience catch some big fish in heavy cover. Last week I stuck a 6-1 (3rd six of the year, and second largest of the year) from a completely weed choked pond on a frog. I really think the long, heavy power rod was key in landing that fish. It was a leverage factor. No way I land that fish with a rod shorter than 7', no way. It just isn't the most comfortable thing to walk a frog with a big rod. Glad I was using the big gun though :)

Im like 5'4 and i use a dobyns 766 for frogs no problem! If you want a dobyns and the 766 is to long get a 736.
There lies the rub...if its "comfortable" but can't get the job done, what's the point. I think most of the so called "frog rods" are more about fishing a frog, and less about catching fish on a frog.  Heavy cover fishing is a unique situation, where your gear has to account for an "exit strategy" once you get bit. BTW, I'm a little guy, short and skinny, LOL, and I find longer rods actually suit me better and serve as an equalizer.

I ended up debating for quite some time.  I ordered the Kistler 7'1 H pitch n' flip rod.  I think this will serve as a great frog rod with a strong backbone, and a good flip / pitch rod until I can invest in a designated heavy duty flipping rod.   Had to weigh the lakes I fish most often in the Madison chain don't have any super heavy cover so I think I will be fine for now.  

I would like to thank everyone for all the great input!

(P.S. The Kistler will be paired with a Revo S w/ either 50 or 65# braid)