Sign in to follow this  
Dan:

Revo STX or Curado E7?

I need a new reel for my flipping/pitching/frogging rod. I was set on the Curado but now that the STX can be had for $120 I've been tempted by the Abu side. I enjoy the braking system on my Citica immensely. Now I can't decide. Discuss....

Annndddd...they're off  

STX Baby!!

Either will do the job, I have both and use for the exact purposes. Brake is more user friendly on the Curado. If you use the Revo for short cast without much weight change the brakes work just fine. The only problem with the Revo brakes are constant adjustments. Once adjusted they work just fine. On sale on would go with the Revo, then buy the Curado after to save some money.

yes, I realize this could start a war but I'm genuinely curious as to whether, being a fan of Shimano's braking system, I could get used to the Revo's. Also, like I said this reel will be used mainly for flipping and pitching relatively short distances but also for casting frogs as far as I can. I would have made it between the Curado and the Premier since they can be had for the same price but the Premier doesn't come in a high speed version.

I've heard that changing the Revos can be a hassle so I'm not sure about them because I'd have to readjust the brakes every time I switch between jigs and frogs. I wouldn't be concerned except I've grown accustomed to not having to change anything on my Citica.

i have both and they are both great superior reels imo,but i tend to grab my stx more then the curado to me it just feels better casts alot better and farther and the drag is much better.i have a gut feeling that asking this question on here was a bad idea..only because this place is shimano haven,love this site and shimano,but thats how it goes in alot of the posts on here."no dont try that,try a shimano" we all see it.id go to the store get a feel for them and what it comes down to you,the brakes on the curado are easier (set it,forget it) the revo you adjust throughout the day but you can dial it in better for accurate pinpoint casts no matter the bait.TW has the entire revo line on a huge sale,id jump on those for that price.exp the revo premier if your looking for a lightweight set up.if not then the stx is the way to go.

Personally, I don't have too much trouble with the brakes. You can even set them to max and still make pretty long casts. I just picked up a high speed STX to flip with, but I've been using the 6.4:1 and it's great. For me, the STX is the perfect power fishing reel.

I'm know the E7 would be awesome too but I'm just(becoming) an Abu guy.

i have both and they are both great superior reels imo,but i tend to grab my stx more then the curado to me it just feels better casts alot better and farther and the drag is much better.i have a gut feeling that asking this question on here was a bad idea..only because this place is shimano haven,love this site and shimano,but thats how it goes in alot of the posts on here."no dont try that,try a shimano" we all see it.id go to the store get a feel for them and what it comes down to you,the brakes on the curado are easier (set it,forget it) the revo you adjust throughout the day but you can dial it in better for accurate pinpoint casts no matter the bait.TW has the entire revo line on a huge sale,id jump on those for that price.exp the revo premier if your looking for a lightweight set up.if not then the stx is the way to go.

Respectfully, I don't want to hear any of that sort of stuff. I want only opinions on these reels and their features. This thread will go to hell in a hand basket if we start with branding issues. besides, everyone so far has recommended a Revo so don't tell me Shimanos are favored...

STX hands down for those techniques man! Those are all the uses for my STXs. The drag and smoothness on them is amazing! Asides from all the negative reviews on the Revos brakes, the STX doesn't share those problems. All the horror stories stemmed from the SX IMO. I can cast my STX a mile with no thumb control with just about any lure. It is a solid reel with no back play in it whatsoever! And for there going price right now, how can you resist!?!

I have both of these reels and I prefer the Curado to the STX.  The Curado just feel more comfortable to me.

Later, ;)

so the Curado is winning in the poll but only one person has replied in favor of it? Come on guys, tell me why.

I owned 4 STXs at one point. They are all gone. I downgraded to the SX which blindfolded most people couldn't tell the difference between the two. I've unloaded all my SXs and I'm slowly rebuilding my collection this time with Curados. The Curado is just as smooth in retrieve as the SX, it weighs less, and the new E7 have no back play in the handels. Plus it's a newer model. On top of all that you can pick em up on ebay for 150ish.

Here's why I wouldn't use the STX for flipping and pitching. You turn the magnets way low to pitch a jig. Then you pitch all morning and decide to take a cast with that jig to a stump a little out of reach of a pitch but you forgot to turn your magnets up... To late. You're in backlash city.

There should be one less vote for the STX and one more for the Curado.  I clicked STX by mistake.

The magnetics have absolutely NOTHING to do with pitching! It is the spool tension knob that controls that! Are you sure you have used the STX!?!

The magnetics have absolutely NOTHING to do with pitching! It is the spool tension knob that controls that! Are you sure you have used the STX!?!

my mistake.  It was the touchy magnets on the SX that would backlash if you casted after flipping.  

My vote still goes for the Curado!

for your needs i vote stx not to mention that price!

for your needs i vote stx not to mention that price!

I know, right? If only the Premier came in a 7.x:1 ratio!

and the new E7 have no back play in the handels.

Well I'm glad yours is better than the two that I have. They both have play.

Both reels are very nice but I voted for the STX.  I've had my STX for 2 years now and it is still smoother than the E5 that I have only been using since March.  I got an E7 in May and I like it but not as much as the STX.

The Revo SX does not have the infini-spool which the Revo STX model has.  I believe this feature of the STX improves it's efficiency when pitching and marries nicely with magnetic braking.  I, however, prefer casting with the REVO S and it's centrifugal braking.  I think you need both the STX and S models.

and the new E7 have no back play in the handels.

Well I'm glad yours is better than the two that I have. They both have play.

Both reels are very nice but I voted for the STX. I've had my STX for 2 years now and it is still smoother than the E5 that I have only been using since March. I got an E7 in May and I like it but not as much as the STX.

there shouldnt be backplay..dont see how with the antireverse pawls those thing should be cathing the ratchet and dead locking that thing

You like the Shimano VBS, yes?  So why buy a reel with an inferior braking system?

That linear magnetic brake is either on or off.  There is no in-between.  Perhaps the most useless braking system I've ever used.  I spent 8 months trying to figure it out.

Perhaps I'm just stupid.  But I'm smart enough to engage two brakes on a Shimano and never have any trouble. :-/

You like the Shimano VBS, yes? So why buy a reel with an inferior braking system?

That linear magnetic brake is either on or off. There is no in-between. Perhaps the most useless braking system I've ever used. I spent 8 months trying to figure it out.

Perhaps I'm just stupid. But I'm smart enough to engage two brakes on a Shimano and never have any trouble. :-/

That's why I'm so conflicted. I really like the look, weight, and braking of the Curado and I'm concerned about getting used to or not liking the brakes on the Revos but I also want to try something new and the Revos are on a dynamite sale..If they weren't on sale I would have no problem making the choice.

IMO, the Revo STX is more robustly made.  The drag is superior.  For flipping and pitching you don't even need a brake.   And it doesn't matter where the brake is set for these techniques.  I leave it set for about 50 % (not that it makes a difference) and loosen the tension knob so the lure drops like a rock.   The STX becomes a flipping and pitching beast.   If I decide I want to do some distance casting with a Horny Toad, I just tighten the tension knob and get extremely good casting distance.  

had you been here when the Revos first came out you would have thought this place was a support forum for Revos. its like this with everything. a few months back every rod thread was about the Mojos. whatevers hot is the topic.

dan, i feel for ya. i had two SXs and hated the mag brakes on them. i dug around in the archives and on other forums try to find out more info about the STX. about half of the people that have used both the SX and the STX say that they're completely different and that the STX is far superior to the SX...yet, the other half says they're almost identical in temperament. i like variety so i keep dabbling with other models and have reels from every brand but i hafta admit the curado Es are my fav. i'd say, at that price, get the STX and see for yourself whether it works for you. if not, you'd have no problem turning around and selling it here without loss.