Sign in to follow this  
jrk

GLX, IMX, St. Croix Legend Xtreme...

I'm new here, and this will probably be a silly question to those with more experience and in the know, but I'm getting back into this stuff again after many years and want to buy something nice to keep for a long while.  It sounds like everything is pretty specific nowadays, but I'm after a really nice all around large/small mouth rod to put on my shimano 200 sized baitcaster.  I'm thinking about 6.6 and medium heavy to fish all types of baits, mainly soft plastics (senkos).  After all of this ramble...I'm interested in the MBR GLX, maybe the 783c, and maybe the St. Croix Legend Xtreme.  Question is, is this material so sensitive and light weight that durability is sacrificed?  Will the GLX or SCIV material be more "brittle" than say a lower priced rod/blank where different material is added to the mix along with the graphite (read scrim)?  Don't get me wrong, I don't abuse my gear, but how light weight does it really need to be, and I don't want to have to worry all the time about knicks, or lifting a few larger fish into the boat, etc.  

Appreciate any input and time you may have,

JRK

Sensitive does not mean brittle. Also, as far as I know,  those rods all have lifetime warranties that are fantastic.

I have heard that sensitivity is directly related to brittleness. Likewise, as sensitivity increases so does brittleness. This is heavily changed because IMO as you get a more sensitive rod (more $) people care for them more; therefore, less breakage.

Anyways the top end rod companies offer great warranties encase you do break one of there rods. So that should not be too big of a factor. The GLX is top of the line, I have never had the opportunity to fish with one because it is out of my price range. So I cannot comment there. Talk about crucials and Avids and you're in my alley. :)

GLX MBR783 is a fine rod and great investment.

You will not be disappointed. However, unless

you want to fish a cheap fiberglass rod, don't

lift fish over a pound or two with your rod. The

term is "high sticking" which rod tips are not

designed to do.

BTW, Welcome aboard!

8-)

The GLX material isn't brittle, nor is IMX or SCV.  It's a thinner walled design- BIG difference.  If it was brittle, every yahoo out there would break them on a daily basis...  as very few guys actually follow the "rules" of rod handling.  

Nicks, impact, high sticking and swinging good fish will break cheap and expensive rods alike.  The cheap stuff generally takes a little more abuse, but it's usually a function of a thicker walled design.

I appreciate the info guys...much appreciated.  Down to the MBR783 GLX or something similar from St. Croix.  

Again,

Thanks for the time,

JRK

You can't go wrong with any of these rods they are all good quality rods.

You can't go wrong with any of these rods they are all good quality rods.

x2, get the best deal and go with that rod.  

The GLX is a SUPER rod, only problem I have now is that its the only rod I will ever buy again.  Spoils the crap out of ya but worth every penny.

I like my GLX's better than my Steez as far as sensitivity and flexibility.  The steez is lighter but the GLX feels like a rolls royce.