Sign in to follow this  
mrlitetackle

eye guide fix/repair...need help/advice/techniques!!!.......................

On one of my rods i noticed recently that my line was getting frayed more than normal, and my leader knots were taking more abuse.

Well, i believe that i found the culprit.... but need some help or advice as how to remedy the problem.

The tip guide does not have the normal full coat of shellac (or whatever it is??) around the entire section of it connected to the rod (crude illustration bellow). There is a "bump" between the bottom of the metal in the guide, and the rod..... that is somewhat sharp. I do believe that this is causing my problems....

I bought some rod tip glue, but cant seem to get a smooth enough finish around the section in trouble. It keeps coming out "lumpy" and unsatisfactory to say the least! I need something/or technique to form a smooth and even surface.

What should i use to smooth this out....

the rod tip glue

shellac

some sort of clear coat

....or whatever else????

I need ideas as to how to get the remedy in mind to form a smooth and seamless union.....

open to all ideas,

and how to apply them to the situation.

now for the rudimentary drawing....

post-20421-130162926847_thumb.jpg

i cant get the "paint" pic to load up for some reason.......

i hope the description is good enough at this point.....

i'll try to get the illustration up in a few.

finally.....

the pic worked,

had to draw it and take a cell phone pic,

but its there now...

(dont know why i couldnt get the "paint" pic to load up??)

Mrlite,

I would take it in to good bait and tackle shop for a "second opinion", probably nothing too serious.  A good shop will know exactly what's wrong and how to correct it..............if it were me, I'd just let them fix it.

Mrlite,

I would take it in to good bait and tackle shop for a "second opinion", probably nothing too serious. A good shop will know exactly what's wrong and how to correct it..............if it were me, I'd just let them fix it.

best option for sure....

i had this issue once... i applyed the rod tip glue around the tip and it came out lumpy so i used a liter and hit again real quick and the spun the rod as even ly as possible... and guideed it with my finger a bit... stung a little but it came out nice....

In my all my years of building I have never seen the tip top tube edge cause fraying of lines or leader knots. I would suggest that you look at the tips and 2 guides back shock rings a little closer for hairline cracks or chips. Tip Top glue doesn't get hard enough to cause what you are describing. If you have a hard nub at that point file it down flush is isn't from the glue it is just a bad finish job

I need ideas as to how to get the remedy in mind to form a smooth and seamless union.....
Only one way, you will have to coat with a quality rod finish and keep turning until it sets up..

Tip Top Glue isn't going to cover the edge of the tip tops tube.

Just my .02¢ as a builder

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!  

Reel Mech,

i will check the actual guides more thoughly now that you mention it.

Tip Top glue doesn't get hard enough to cause what you are describing. If you have a hard nub at that point file it down flush is isn't from the glue it is just a bad finish job

the sharp edge isnt from the glue or finish, its from the lack there of.... it is literally the tube portion of the top eye...

either way,

this rod finish you speak of....

do you know of any shops that might have this, or is this something that needs to be ordered?

thanks for the advice!

The line doesn't contact the tip top tube in the way you think...  I've never seen a tip top cause what you describe.  But, I guess there could always be a first.  

If you want to "prove" it out first, take a little piece of scotch tape and wrap it around the tube & 1/8" or so of blank so it covers the "edge" and if your problem stops, then you can worry with coating it.  

I'd be looking over ReelMech's suggestions again though.

Once you prove it, the finish can be ordered at a number of places, or if you have an Academy sports they carry it.

Second thought...... :(

I would also check the tip top tube edge to see if there are any nicks or sharp edge. If so I would contact a local shop for a replacement tip top that would be the less costly way to go.

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!  

Posted by: Reel Mechanic      Posted on: Today at 6:26pm

Second thought...... Shocked

I would also check the tip top tube edge to see if there are any nicks or sharp edge. If so I would contact a local shop for a replacement tip top that would be the less costly way to go.

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!  Smiley

you got it!!!!!

i checked before, but not thoroughly enough apparently!!!!!!

upon closer inspection earlier this afternoon, i did find a slight chip in the top guide that is most likely the culprit.......

gonna go get it repaired and all should be fine.....

Posted by: Reel Mechanic      Posted on: Today at 6:26pm

Second thought...... Shocked

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!  Smiley

you got it!!!!!

i checked before, but not thoroughly enough apparently!!!!!!

upon closer inspection earlier this afternoon, i did find a slight chip in the top guide that is most likely the culprit.......

gonna go get it repaired and all should be fine.....

Another thought...... :(:D

Test your guide rings by using a Q-tip and spinning it around inside the shock ring. If any fibers show up then you have located a hairline crack/chip that will over time fray the best of lines and knots. The guides that fail this test should be replaced...

Rod Care....  Basic Care and Maintenance Tips Reading

Good Luck & Tight Lines All!!