Sign in to follow this  
Chico

Boca Bearings

Has anyone tried Boca bearings? I would like to know if they are worth the cost and hassle of cleaning, re-lubing and installing them?  I have two new Citica that I like but I am wondering if new bearings would make them even better?

New bearings will always help especially bearings that are of a much better quality.  Boca bearings are top notch bearings and yes they are worth the hassle.  Improved casting distance and much smoother retrieval.

Later, :)

Shimano doesn't publicise it, but Bantam 1 told me that they use Abec 3 rated bearings. Boca has abec 5 stainless bearings for around $8.00 each and even cheaper in the 4 pack. They also have the abec 5 lightning ceramic hybrids for just a couple dollars more. Either one of these would be a big improvement to your Citica.

I have a couple of sets of the Abec 7's and in my opinion they were worth the difference. The reels cast much better and I have fewer backlashes, also I am able to pitch with much less effort. Try a set you will not be disappointed. Big Green fish also sells some very high quality bearings I have a couple of sets of those by recommendation of Bronzefly and like them also, but have not had them long enough to say they are better but they seem to be as good.

I like the Bocas and they are an improvement over the stock shimano bearings IMHO, but the ABEC 7 Stainless Steel bearings that Big Green Fish sells are by far the best bearing for the $ out there that I've tried - and I've tried alot of them.  They are $9 each and make a substantial difference, especially for casting/pitching lighter baits!

Check this out.This is my old scorpion i sold to a guy.he installed Abec 7's.When i had it,it didn't spin that well. :)

Yeah those are the boca orange seals in the video.  I believe they were sent to him dry and he cleaned them in acetone and then used a single drop of hot sauce.

I have a set sitting on my desk to put in my curado today if I get a chance.

Yup Boca is a quality bearing outfit we are linked on their site.. BUT!

I'll bet if you guys were to pick up two rod/reel combo's everything in the combos line,lure,rod being equal, one with ABEC5 stainless bearings and one with ABEC7 stainless bearings, that none would be able to tell which reel had what in it. ABEC5 stainless bearings will get you extra footage in casting, and depending on the location of bearing some cranking smoothness. ABEC7 are made for extremely high speed rotating motor's ie. remote control car motors, dremel tools, etc...

Just my .02¢

Reel Drag & Spool Shaft Bearing Upgrade Supplies

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!

Couldn't have seid it better myself RM. I used to laugh when we would get reels in for repair. They would have these high dollar ABEC 7 bearings in the reel. All the VBS brake weights would be on and the cast control caps tightened down.

My record with freespool was a Curado 200BSF with stock SS bearings. It freespooled for 2:34 (with line on the spool). The spool hauled a** for way longer than the one in that video. I bet I could improve the reel in that video even further, but no one would be able to cast with it   ;D  Freespool really has nothing to do with castability. A heavy spool will spin longer than a light spool, but that light spool will outcast the heavy spool any time.

Impressive but free spooling like that reel in the video doesn 't exactly mean your bait will fly for 2 minutes, in order for that to happen you would have to stick the bait to a rocket with plenty of fuel, the bait is going to fly what it 's going to fly and it 's going to land sooner or later because of line drag, wind resistance and gravity, the bearings are not going to stop that from happening.