Sign in to follow this  
Use ONLY Stren

Spinning reel for brackish or salt

Im looking for a spinning reel for brackish and saltwater use. Id like it to be sealed to somewhat protect it from the saltwater. 3500 or 4000 size, price range around 100 bucks, any suggestions.

My man, no reel is sealed to the point where it won 't allow water to get in. In practical terms, any reel can be used in salt/brackish water ( if it has corrosion resistan bearings better ) but it 's durability is going to depend on you, even saltwater reels need maintenance after being used in saltwater. So as long as you rinse the reel thoroughly with fresh water after being used in salt/brackish water your reel will be fine and last a long time.

I'm a primarily a saltwater fisherman and water can get into the reel just from the line(I coat with grease right at the nut on the spindle helps alot).

Pflueger medalist has a sealed drag

Supreme has a sealed drag but it's MG not recommended for salt water but I've been using one last for the last 9 months in salt with no trouble, just rinse as Raul said.

My pick of the day...Shimano spheros, a true saltwater reel with a waterproof drag( so it's advertised). The new model is about 139, but I bought the last year model the FA well under a 100. They have 3-4000 reels. I own 2 of them, not as smooth as the stradic but a stronger drag, I like this reel it has never let me down.

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/reels/saltwater_spinning/Spheros.html

http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xcart/catalog/product_11152_Shimano_Spheros_FA_Saltwater_Spinning_Reel_3000_5000_6000_80.html

I've seen other sites as well.  In fact I ordered an 8000 fa for about a 100 and they sent me the new fb  :)

Check out Zee Baas or Van Staal, but try not to throw up on your shoes when you see the pricetag.

Personally I use a 1960's Penn 704z and a 2008 Shimano Stradic.

not the 100 range....

but about 129....

the shimano saros, and has a sealed drag and AR-B....

i own 2, both 3000 size....

they see the salt all the time,

and i love them....

Shimano Baitrunners and Penn are probably the best saltwater reels out there.  

Has anybody used the ABU Cardinal 600 ALB it says it has a sealed drag, corrosion res. bearings, and the 3000 size is fairly lighter than most others ive looked at.

Make sure you rinse the reel with freshwater after EVERY use and you'll be fine using almost any reel.

Check out Zee Baas or Van Staal, but try not to throw up on your shoes when you see the pricetag.

If someone were looking to spend$20,000 on a car I wouldn't send them to a Bently showroom.

I probably see more shimano baitrunners and Penns(not a captiva) than anything.

If someone were looking to spend$20,000 on a car I wouldn't send them to a Bently showroom.

I probably see more shimano baitrunners and Penns(not a captiva) than anything.

Why not a Captiva?

Is there something you don't like about them?

Why not a Captiva?

Is there something you don't like about them?

There is a newer model and I'm not sure what the difference but I bought mine about 3 years ago.  It was fine for about 2 years, smooth with a decent drag, then it became gummed up (reel had never been dunked or even got salt spray on it), had it serviced and it was fine.  Then one day just like that it was totally jammed..........at that point I just threw it into the garbage, saw no sense in chasing after a 50 or $60 reel.......I just looked at Penns web site, the new capitva is lighter than the one I had so who knows.

The ssg and ssm are real workhorses.