Sign in to follow this  
YeahSure

What Poles Will Cover What Lures

I'm about to be ordering probably two new rods and reels and i was wondering where to start. I'm now learning about how different types of rods are used for different types of lures but i was wondering if there was a pretty simple explanation of what rods can do what.

Like can I get a rod that will fish crankbaits, jigs, and other stuff like that very well, and then have another rod that is great for fishing senkos, finesse worms. what poles would be good for frogs and so on. Any recommendations?

Lately i've been fishing alot of senkos, and im about to pick up some more finesse worms and jigs head for wacky worming. And if im not fishing senkos im usually throwing crankbaits or jigs. Would a rod that is good for crankbaits also be a good jig rod?

Here ya go:

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1141187546

Bottom line: A 6 1/2' or 7' Medium Power/ Fast Action spinning

or baitcasting rod will cover nearly all your fishing needs. That's

where I suggest you start. The best value is about a $150

combination from one of the big retailers. Focus on the reel

and whatever rod they match up with it. Shimano Symetre for

spinning, Citica for baitcasting. NEVER pay retail, these

combinations are often on sale.

Here is an example:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_102965_100003000_100000000_100003000_100-3-0

8-)

Thanks for the help! How do you guys feel about buying used gear? And what about off ebay? I found some nice Daiwa and G loomis rods for cheap but the seller doesnt have any seller info or anything so i do not know if it is a reputable seller. Can you be scammed on there? Is it a bad idea to get one?

Our Flea Market often has great deals on rods and reels.

8-)

Thanks for the help! How do you guys feel about buying used gear? And what about off ebay? I found some nice Daiwa and G loomis rods for cheap but the seller doesnt have any seller info or anything so i do not know if it is a reputable seller. Can you be scammed on there? Is it a bad idea to get one?

If you are not familiar with the working of ebay you can get taken, even those very familiar can be ripped, so I would suggest taking a look here as roadwarrior said.  Be cautious, even here, get to know some of these guys a bit and you can sorta judge who will do you right

Light fishing: 6 1/2' ML/F spinning

Soft plastics: 7' M/F spinning

Crankbaits, jerkbaits and topwater: 7' M or MH/M baitcasting

Spinnerbaits and buzzbaits: 7' M or MH/F  baitcasting

Jigs, C-rigs and heavy and/or deep running lures: 7' H/F baitcasting

Thats just what its best to fish with right i mean i use everything on a spinning reel right now (Im learning the ways of the baitcaster) but if i enter tournaments n things i wanna have a few different kind of rods like spinneys baitcasters etc