Sign in to follow this  
90x

Water on fishing Reels?

I realize that there is no way to not get water in contact with your fishing reel. When it rains, I shy away from bringing my bait caster out. Is there a point in which your fishing reel will become damaged due to exposure to water?

Maybe prolonged exposure but i doubt rain will do it! This past Sat i dropped one of my Revo STX and a Kistler rod overboard. Took about an hour to fish it out with a big treble hook, LOL! No damage that i could see after opening it.

If you are that worried about it, put a coat of car wax on it. I'm not kidding.

If you have a fishing reel that might be damaged by occasional contact with water, you need to toss it in the nearest trash can.

I don't think you have to worry that much. Water can seep in but all you have to do is open up the reel to double check. If there is water, take a towal and dab out the little bit of water you might find.

My UL rod and reel got rained on today on my way home from the river. Isn't the first time it's happened, and I know it won't be the last. Never have had any problems.

Won't hurt unless it's saltwater and water can run into the reel from the line.

I realize that there is no way to not get water in contact with your fishing reel. When it rains, I shy away from bringing my bait caster out. Is there a point in which your fishing reel will become damaged due to exposure to water?
But I'll bet you drag out the spinning reel don't ya. Well what's the dif using your spinning reel or your baitcasting reel. NONE!

All reels get water in them just from the line being wet. A rain storm will just drain through. The only time you have to worry about water in the reel is when using a freshwater rated reel in saltwater.

Take your reel/s fishing the next time it rains and catch your personal best.

Service or have them serviced at least once a year, and they will out last you.......

Just my .02¢  :)

Tight Lines!!!!

Swear to god my Dad has been a tournament Bass fisherman for over 40 years and when his reels start to squeek he dunks them in the pond. Honest to god!! For 40 years!!