Sign in to follow this  
I.rar

Cheaper UL reel..

thinking about picking up a smaller reel that will better suit my UL rod. i stumbled across an older abu reel , the cardinal 600u stamina drag? reel. is it worth ~$40 or is it junk? i would go with a president 6720 , but after using my c801 with the full rubber grips , i dont want another rosewood handle. if that c600u isnt worth it , what about the newer 300u? http://www.great-lakes.org/reviews/review-11-18,25-02.html

any suggestions for something under $50?

Im not an avid UL guy but had the pleasure to fish with this little guy,

the Pfluger President Micro, the grip felt good, and it was plenty the reel to actualy handle a few LMB in the 2 n 3lb range.  Its in your range.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_97000_100001002_100000000_100001000_100-1-2

Check out the Cardinal 101a. It weighs 6.95 oz if I am not mistaken. Not a true UL, but it is small enough to serve UL needs. This is what I use on my UL setup and it's only about $34.00.

Check out the Cardinal 101a. It weighs 6.95 oz if I am not mistaken. Not a true UL, but it is small enough to serve UL needs. This is what I use on my UL setup and it's only about $34.00.

i did a quick search for the reel and found nothing. i did find a cardinal 300u for $30. cant seem to find a deal on a 6720.

It seems that they no longer make it! Mine is blue and now they are silver. However, this is perhaps its replacement:

http://www.abugarcia.com/prod.php?k=132590&sk=132590&p=PURC100U%20(1114410)

It is the 101 with a line cap of 6/110.  I imagine that the reel still weighs about the same. It is a great deal at about $34.00. I got mine at WalMart I think.

I got a Sedona 750 recently to replace a worn out rapala 210 on a 6 ' light action Fenwick.It's pretty sweet with 4lb. line  Last weekend I bought an Okuma avenger 15 on a 6 foot  okuma  celilo  UL rod strung with 4lb line and a 1/8 oz. kastmaster attached in like new cndition at an auction for $8.50.  Woohoo. It is smoother than the Sedona.   I 've known people who got the Avengers in larger sizes to use in saltwater expecting them to last a season and had them last for years of hard use.  A 2000 series would be too heavy for an UL in my opinion.YMMV.

It seems that they no longer make it! Mine is blue and now they are silver. However, this is perhaps its replacement:

http://www.abugarcia.com/prod.php?k=132590&sk=132590&p=PURC100U%20(1114410)

It is the 101 with a line cap of 6/110. I imagine that the reel still weighs about the same. It is a great deal at about $34.00. I got mine at WalMart I think.

the 300u is a step up from the 100 series. i found it at around $30 before shipping. ill check out wally world and dicks to see what they have on display so i can play with them

I picked up a cardinal 101 on the cheap a few years ago and it's still running perfect, 6'6 shimano scimitar 8/14 rod 10#fireline braid, nice outfit.

I also have a trion #20, smooth and a better drag than the cardinal, but hate that rosewood handle, 5'6 ml 4# mono........I'd like it better with braid.  Use it only with crappie jigs or light bucktails for mayans or peacocks.