Sign in to follow this  
kingfisher85

baitcast questions

so im going to be learning how to use a baitcasting reel and i understand there is alot to learn and alot of practice ahead. ive got some good information on the setup but im now wondering about when i get past the "backyard stage"

have you guys often experienced times where you are snagged and reef on your rod to free the hook but when it lets go it goes flying? or in the middle of a good fight had a fish throw the hook? if so can these types of situations cause a backlash? do you guys always keep your thumb on the spool, even when reeling in?

any information is appreaciated, thank you.

No, the only time you are going to get a backlash or birdsnest is during a cast or when it is disengaged as stated above.

One tip I got is don't try to cast to hard, I am not saying you can't cast far, but if you put to much arm into it you will get a backlash, start out simple maybe only ten yards, in a couple of days move to fifteen yards, etc. Then you will be ready to take it to the water.

One other thing. Try not to use your rod and reel to free a snag.  That is a recipe for potentially breaking your rod. Also, if you have to yank the line, do so at an angle to your left or right. That way, if it flies out of the water, it will never hit you, unless you move into it.

thank you guys very much for the tips.. i cant imagine the mess id have on my hands without all the tips and advince ive gathered.

Don't worry, you'll have plenty of messes on your hands until you get the hang of it.   :)

well ive got it setup... and yup ive got a few backlashes haha.. none of them were deep though i would leave the spool free and back up 5-10' slowly and thats all there was for the mess.. i put about a half ounce weight on it and when i can see when the weight almost hits the ground i do suprisingly well.. but all the times i can see when its about to land is when i have the problems.. i can see ill have to work on getting a more gradual smooth stop with my thumb but it will come in time.

well i kinda feel bad for not taking all the advice of practicing in the yard for awhile.. i think i got maybe 10 casts out and just couldnt handle it anymore, i went to the lake.. and i think i did good, got quite a few backlashes that were very minor and one that was bad but was still saved will relitive ease.. i thank everyone again for the tips and advice. i still need alot of practice but im happy with how well im going with heavier spinnerbaits and swimbaits but not so well with the lighter stuff.. im not really casting too far but far enough to get my fish...

let your rod and reel do ALL the work while casting. that's what you spent the extra money for. it's like fly fishing. you don't wanna put barely any power into your cast. instead, concentrate on accuracy. you'll get near perfect casts EVERY TIME.... with a lil bit of practice.  :)

hmm.. thank you, i noticed today there were times where i think i tried to put a little too much on it.. i had some that were no were near where i wanted and then quite a few where i was like "wow did you see that?" haha i cant wait until i master the art...

well ive tried throwing some light spinners and flatfish and i sure did get a few big backlashes. im guessing it was an amature move on my part for throwing lures that were probably 1/4 ounce and less on a MH rod.. anyways ive got a big time amature question. i read this

"Just a side note here.

This is were a lot of anglers go wrong, in learning how to use a baitcasting reel and rod. Not following the manufacturers ratings. They read so much on the forums about this and that baitcasting reel throwing super light lures and using super light lines. That they tend to forget that you have to use what has been suggested by the manufactures. They are the ones that know the gear that the angler is using and how to rate it. For example if your reel is rated at 14lb. test and you place 8lb. test on it, and, place it on a rod that is rated for max 10 - 17lb. test, then place a practice plug that is lighter than the lure rating on the rod. You basically have an out of tune system."

anyways my extremely amature question is how do i know what lb test my reel is rated for???? it says 12lb/160yrd.. is that just a capacity rating or is that the rating the guy was talking about? i actually didnt know that reels really had a rating such as... say 14lb.

i should be fine with 40lb (10lb diameter) line should i not? especially if i stay above 1/4 ounce since my rod is rated 1/4-3/4

Line size isn't so much of a consideration for reels as it is for rods. Most reels can handle any size of line just fine. The 120yds/12lb test or whatever is just to give you an idea of how much line will fit on the spool. I would stick to 10lb test (diameter) and up, preferably something like 12-17

Try this read.......Basic Baitcast Reel Setup 101...

Tight Lines!!!  

Good luck withh your baitcaster. There is plenty of good information on tips and suggestions for your baitcaster, but a lot of it you have to discover for yourself.

I bought my first baitcaster in June and found myself repeatedly getting frustrated and putting it away. It literally was not until last week that I spent two hours over the course of the week casting it.

I used my baitcaster on my boat this past Wednesday night for about two hours. I caught my first bass on my baitcaster and that was a huge win for me. Now I want another one.

Here is what worked for me. One handed casts. Cast overhead at an angle. Keep your thumb diagonally across the spool. Let the rod do the work. Muscling it does NOT make you cast further.

Good luck. :-/