Sign in to follow this  
Chad.

Hi vis braid? do fish care

Hello ladies and gentleman's i have been using a 65lb power pro hi vis line,(I like being able to see my line twitch when gentle bites occur) and so far i have caught over 30 fish with it. The last time i was fishing with a buddy, and he commented on my hi vis line. Now my fish have been caught between a mixture of reaction baits (ex spinner-baits) and plastics. I would take a black sharpie and do the mixed line for the last 3 feet. But getting to the point my friend who has been fishing for countless years said "big fish see the line and shy away" "All the fish you would catch on that are aggressive active fish" I took this statement into consideration and it is sensible, but i am just curious about some of the opinions of hi vis users and others. the owner of a local tackle shop said he used the hi vis line without problems and caught just as much fish as his friends. Comments are welcomed just some food for thought. (sorry if this topic has been previously covered)  :D

I use hi-viz braid on my shakey head outfit. I put a flouracarbon leader on it using double uni-knots. The braid is bright orange and you can really see those lite bites. I use about a 4 foot leader. The fish don't seem to notice the leader, and being able to see the lite bites has improved my catch rate. ;D

With Spinner Baits or Traps it doesn't matter

With plastics in clear water I think it depends on what types of cover is available; I fish a lot of vegetation and it doesn't matter.

There was a thread on this not too long ago and it was fairly evenly split:  many think line visibility is a non-issue and many think it is or can be.  Experienced fishermen on both sides.

Unless you're fishing gin clear water , it should not effect the out come of your fishing.  JMHO

As someone stated earlier, unless you are fishing gin clear

water it doesn't have a negative impact. In clear water you

are going to want to use a Flourocarbon leader.

I am a firm believer in Hi-Vis line in stained water. It helps

you visually detect the most subtle strikes. This is especially

true when fishing a Senko.

JT Bagwell

I use fluoro leader on my braid in case...also cause it cuts the cost of using braid down....snip away at the leader instead of slowly eating the braid up.

I know this an older thread so sorry right off.

All the water I fish there is visibility down to approx 12 feet or more (lower Raystown lake) and I just started using braid this year and I loved the sensitivity.  I caught fish but nowhere near the strikes that I had with mono, so I tied a 4 - 6 ft. 17lb floro leader on and wow what a difference.  Catches have gone up and it hasn't hurt the sensitivity at all.

I use fluoro leader on all the braid I fish.  Most of my fishing is done on rocky bottom, and braid is useless in the rocks.

I start with about seven feet of leader, and replace it when it gets to about four feet long.

Braid is great in all the vegetation I fish, particularly lily pads.  It saws through them like a hot knife through butter, but if it touches a rock, it breaks like sewing thread.

I use the various colors for quick identification of the line's rating.  Red is ten, yellow fifteen, and green is twenty pound test.

Lest it seem like a contradiction, most of the vegetation is found on the rocky or cobble bottom, including the lily pad beds.

I fish mostly stained water so i use straight braid! In clear water i use straight fluoro!

I know this an older thread so sorry right off.

All the water I fish there is visibility down to approx 12 feet or more (lower Raystown lake) and I just started using braid this year and I loved the sensitivity. I caught fish but nowhere near the strikes that I had with mono, so I tied a 4 - 6 ft. 17lb floro leader on and wow what a difference. Catches have gone up and it hasn't hurt the sensitivity at all.

This is interesting but again your fishing a clear lake, from the responses people seem to use straight braid for stained water.