Sign in to follow this  
lkn4life9209

Crankbait setup

Im looking to get a new crankbait setup and I'm not exactly sure what to get yet. Any suggestions on a good rod or reel would be greatly appreciated. Thanks  :D

I'm sure others use some high end stuff for their crankbait fishing but mine is pretty simple and very effective .

Shimano Curado B5 (older 5:1  green model) which I have installed ceramic Abec 5 bearings and smoothie drag washers. I paired it with a 7' St Croix MHM Premier crankbait rod. Total price if bought online probably less than $200.

This rig will cast a crankbait a looong way.

T

I'm not a huge crank buff, although I do enjoy throwing a rip bait and crankbait in the fall and winter.

I love using a Dobyns 705 Glass rod (Lightest glass rod you will ever feel), paired with a Daiwa SOL ( I can cast light crankbaits as well as normal cranks with ease).

I believe the SOL is/was on sale for $200 at BassPro but not sure.

Good luck with your search.

Another vote for the Loomis CBR 845 - it's a GREAT crankbait rod - especially for things like DT-10s, Deep Little Ns, etc.  It is also capable of handling smaller and larger cranks as well, but those I mentioned are perfect for it.  Paired with the right reel - like a Calais APV or Curado E5 and you'll be all set!

Daiwa Zillion High Power for small to heavy cranks.

Daiwa Sol for very light lures.  

There's lots of good rods out there.  

I use a Sol on a 6'10"MH carrot stix gold for shallow-mid cranks and a Curado E5 on a Lucky Craft 7'MH for deeper cranks.  Both these setups are great and would recommend both.  I really like the Lucky Craft rods, they are fiberglass but are rather light and sensitive.

Thanks a lot guys yall have been a great help. I'm thinking pretty strongly about getting a G. Loomis CBR 903 witha Daiwa Zillion High Power. I guess the only step left is to dig up the money and go buy it.