Sign in to follow this  
steezy

Automatic Line Guide Centering

I wonder why the reel manufactures do not make a BC reel that automatically centers the line guide when you release the spool prior to casting.  I would think this would make the cast smoother and more efficient since the line would feed easier off the spool during the cast.

That's the one thing I love about the older round Abu's.  On the cast, the line guide oscillated back and forth with the line.  I guess that robs the reel of a little distance but line lay was always perfect and the cast smooth.  I guess the new 4600/5500/6500's also have this, though.

That's the one thing I love about the older round Abu's. On the cast, the line guide oscillated back and forth with the line. I guess that robs the reel of a little distance but line lay was always perfect and the cast smooth. I guess the new 4600/5500/6500's also have this, though.

Didnt the old Penn saltwater reels do the same?

That syncopated system was designed to help with casting distance. As the line peeled from the reel, the line carriage moves with it, less friction on the line and line guide. Only down side was a break off that was cranked up through the guides and past the spot on the line stack, meant that the line peel and level wind location would be out of sync re-threaded.

But they are great reels, even better when you get the quality worm gear and spool support bearings in them.

Addend..

Garcia® did have a couple of LP reels that I remember being a bear to service one had a line carriage that opened full width of the worm gear when the thumb bar was depressed for casting. The on the first crank it was supposed to close. I use the supposed word here because they mostly didn't work worth a - - - -.

They also had another LP that when the thumb bar was depressed for casting the line carriage would disconnect from the worm gear and the line was supposed to move easily with it when peeling from the spool. Again another ?

Tight Lines!!!

The graphite low profile Pro Plus, Black Max, Ultra Gold and USA-1 reels have a disengaging level wind but not free floating. I have all of those.

I used to have one of those free floating level wind reels too. It stacked line on one side of the spool depending on how you held it for the first few handle turns. I gave that one away.

Yup Garcia® didn't really get it's act together in LP until the Revo. JMO

Tight Lines!!  

I took of the centering gear on my reels.They cast better without them.

Is line stacking on the spool an issue with the guide removed?

Reel Mechanic, is that a good idea to alter the operation of a reel that way?

I would think that if the guide automatically centered and didn't oscilate, you would end up with a bulge of line in the middle of the spool.

I would think that if the guide automatically centered and didn't oscilate, you would end up with a bulge of line in the middle of the spool.

The automatic centering would be just when the spool is release during casting.  It would reengage and move side to side during retrieve.

Haven't had a problem with line stacking,plus the reel is lighter without it.

Geez, I'm already down to 5.5 oz, I guess the guide would take off another .1 oz and the worm gear another .2 oz. :-?

Is line stacking on the spool an issue with the guide removed?

Reel Mechanic, is that a good idea to alter the operation of a reel that way?

oldschool mods and refurbs a lot more older Garcia reels than I do, so he know what he is doing.

IMO any kind of line carriage that dis-engages when in free spool, will cause line stacking.

Line carriages that don't will and do cause friction as the line peels off of the spool. But line carriages that dis-engage usually re-engage after a couple of cranks of the handle, and are usually on the opposite side of the reel when they do (causing line stack on that side)

Tight Lines!!!

Geez, I'm already down to 5.5 oz, I guess the guide would take off another .1 oz and the worm gear another .2 oz. :-?

You're down right spooled  ;)

You're down right spooled ;)

If they mak'em any lighter, we'll forget were holding anything in our hand.