Sign in to follow this  
Bob Dole

Reel bearings upgrades question

I have a Daiwa Tierra baitcaster I'm thinking of sending off to have the bearings upgraded (probably to Reelmechanic since he seems to be the most recommended on these forums) but I got to thinking, is it possible to upgrade spinning reel bearings?

I know it's done in baitcasters for primarily casting reasons but I can't help think new bearings in a spinning reel could really make a difference in smoothness.

Anyone ever done this or am I out in right field for thinking about it?

Unless the stock stainless bearings are damaged, there would be no improvement to smoothness going to a ceramic bearing.  It would actually not be as smooth.  Stainless for smoothness, ceramics for speed.

Stainless for smoothness, ceramics for speed.
I agree 100%. Also I haven't seen a bc spool support system in an actual cast yet that needed ceramics (MPO). Maybe an ABEC5 and like you said in stainless

As far as upgrading the spinning reel bearings, usually a good servicing can make a spinning reel smoother.

The main pinion bearings and sometimes 2 crank support bearings, everything else is now oscillation drive support and line roller support. Oh and just remembered the crank paddle.

Clean them all out well, re-assemble with the proper amount of lubrication and see what they feel like then...

:)

Tight Lines All!!!  

Unless the stock stainless bearings are damaged, there would be no improvement to smoothness going to a ceramic bearing. It would actually not be as smooth. Stainless for smoothness, ceramics for speed.

as in high spool speed when casting?

You got it. :)