Sign in to follow this  
NewAngler

Help with technique specifics...

So I finally have enough setups to think about going technique specific, but I need help determining which I should use for what.. I will list off what I have, and if you guys could help me set this straight i would appreciate it;

REELS

2007 Quantum Energy PT Baitcast 7.1:1 (i think)

BPS Pro qualifyer gold Round Reel 6.3:1

Ardent XS (dont know the ratio)

Shimano Spirex Spinning 2000

Pflueger Trion 6.1:1 BC

RODS

7'0 BPS Rick Clunn M/F worm/dropshot ( I'm shore bound so dont use the DS method) BAITCAST

6'6'' Berkely Bionic M/F BAITCAST

6'10'' Falcon LowRider SHakey Head rod SPINNING

6'0'' Gander MTN M/F

7'0'' BPS MH BAITCAST

thanks in advance!

Don't let the fact that you are "shore bound" keep you from fishing a drop shot rig.  I have caught a lot of fish this year using a drop shot from shore.  It works really good next to heavy cover where the water is 1-2' deep.

Being shorebound should not prevent you from drop shotting. I am shorebound just as you are and the drop shot has been responsible for about 85% of my bass caught. Just thought I'd clue you in on that little piece. It is too awesome a technique to not use from the shore, my shorebound bro. :)

I can't really help you in the matching your rods and reels because I don't think along the lines of this reel with that rod. Any of my casting rods could be mated any of my casting rods and the same with my spinning set ups. :)

But given you arsenal if it were mine:

Combined:

BPS Pro qualifyer gold Round Reel 6.3:1 to 6'6'' Berkely Bionic M/F BAITCAST - The All Arounder

Ardent XS to 7'0 BPS Rick Clunn M/F worm/dropshot ( I'm shore bound so dont use the DS method) BAITCAST - Casting Finesse, Shakey, drop shot. NOTE: I would use the casting reel that best tosses the lighter weights well.

Pflueger Trion 6.1:1 BC to 7'0'' BPS MH BAITCAST - Heavier Jigs and heavier single hook rigs.

2007 Quantum Energy PT Baitcast 7.1:1 to 6'0'' Gander MTN M/F - Spinnerbaits, Buzzbaits, Treble Topwaters.

Shimano Spirex Spinning 2000 to 6'10'' Falcon LowRider SHakey Head rod SPINNING - Finesse whatever/all arounder, treble topwaters, weightless senkos.

if you fish jigs, skirted jigs, or heavier texas rigs, i would pair up that 7:1:1 with the MH BPS rod.. my preference is the faster gears for slow presentation to reel slack and down on bites faster.

the most important thing is to try each set up differently and see what feels the best for you. that is how you will gain confidence in what youre holding in your hand.

as time and money allow, look in to getting some rods with Xfast action for more sensitivity and moderate fast action for crankbaits.

I'd pick the technique first, then select the equipment to buy, reducing confusion.

You only "need" three rigs, 6 1/2' - 7":

Medium Power/ Fast Action spinning tackle: All weightless soft

plastics and light lures.

Medium or MH/ Moderate Action or Fast Action with a soft tip:

All Treble hooks.

MH or H Power/ Fast Action: Jigs and weighted soft plastics.

8-)