Sign in to follow this  
Gomer Pyle

After 20 yrs...a new rod n reel....

I finally got around to making a trip to BPS in Orlando today :) I bought a Shimano Curado baitcaster and matched it with a BPS 7' Extreme rod. This is the first new rod and reel I've bought since 1984 :) Holy cow...what a difference :o This Curado casts a mile with very little effort, and I love the Extreme rod. I got the combo for $249. Not too bad huh? The sales dude was trying to push off a BPS baitcaster with a Bionic Blade combo on me. I already had my mind made up. I've owned an older Shimano baitcaster (over 20 yrs old) and it still casts very good and has caught too many fish to count. I'm sure that the quality of this Curado will last me for many years to come... :P

25 years?  WOW!

Out of curiosity, what was that combo you bought in 1984?

I'm less than an hour from that same store, and good luck with your new outfit.

BTW: 20 years is only halfway to the original Gomer Pyle-USMC (ended in '69) :P

Roger

I finally got around to making a trip to BPS in Orlando today :) I bought a Shimano Curado baitcaster and matched it with a BPS 7' Extreme rod. This is the first new rod and reel I've bought since 1984 :) Holy cow...what a difference :o This Curado casts a mile with very little effort, and I love the Extreme rod. I got the combo for $249. Not too bad huh? The sales dude was trying to push off a BPS baitcaster with a Bionic Blade combo on me. I already had my mind made up. I've owned an older Shimano baitcaster (over 20 yrs old) and it still casts very good and has caught too many fish to count. I'm sure that the quality of this Curado will last me for many years to come... :P

I got two new reels for my rods and I can't believe the difference.  I can cast a lot farther, the most difference though is in the reeling.  So much more smoother.