Sign in to follow this  
Fat-G

HUGE dissapointment

So, as it turns out, my I'm not going to be able to buy the Powell 705c. Actually, I won't be able to buy any nice rod. Lightning rods will replace my Cherrywoods. I know. Terrible. But, from a more mature point of view, a fifteen year old that doesn't fish tourneys doesn't need a $140 rod. Plus, I have the rest of my life to get nice equipment. The Lightning rods will serve me well. Plus, my Shimano Callisto and 6'6" MH Cherrywood have caught me at least 30 fish over five pounds. That begs me to ask the question: Do we really need to spend $500 for a rod and reel? Yes ;D Just not right now ;D

I still have two lightning rods that I use on a regular basis. I love lightning rods especially for spinning applications, specifically topwater. I have a 7' MH and 6'6" MH. I could buy higher priced replacement rods but don't feel the that a replacement is necessary, because the Lightning Rods work so well.

i agree. fishing shouldnt be about gear.

one of may favorite fishing trips wasnt a fishing trip until i went to a wal mart and bought the cheapest Shakespeare baitcast combo they had and a $10 box of odd ball bass baits.

to be honest the Cherrywood rod isnt the worst thing in the world.

If you are lucky enough to have a west marine near you, GO!!!

They are having a clearance sale on their store rods and they are great rods for only $9.44!!!!! Normal price 79.99 which I feel they are worth it but at $9.44, I picked up 7. 2 spinning and 5 casting. If they dont have it at one store, ask them to look up which ones have it and have them ship it to the store for free.

I bought so much because I can lend them to friends/kids if they want to fish w/ me w/o spending too much or worried about it being damage or broken.

They are not the most sensitive rods out their but use braid and it will help a whole lot. I will use it for spinner bait, hard jerkbait, chatterbait, cranking, and maybe small swimbait fishing.

In terms of performance, its no loomis. I would pick up one of these anyday over the daiwa s rods which retail a little over $100.

You have far more self control than I do. I'm glad you are able to understand and realign your priorities. Don't worry, you'll be able to get some sweet gear soon.

Keep in mind what you are using the rod for. You don't need that sensitive a rod for reactions baits, cranking rods, spinnerbaits, even jerkbaits.

Reserve the nicer rods for bottom contact techniques, such as jigs, worms, dropshot, shakyhead, etc. Also weightless techniques wacky worms etc.

Watch BPS sales as some of there reals are downright CHEAP when on sale. The old model extremes were down to $30-40. I'm more than happy with the extreme reals even when put on high end rods.

Check Gandermountain for rods. They have a really god rod per $$ ratio.

Also watch classifieds sections of sites like this and on e-bay.

When you do step up to the high end stuff, save some money and look into Rogue rods. IMO the most underrated fishing rod on the market.

It happens. It's not always the right time to upgrade your gear and shell out more money. I have a close friend of mine who has 15 combos, all are worth under $100 combined. Doesn't stop him, as he's caught many many bass over 10lbs.

You can always keep looking on here in the flea market too, you never know what might pop up one of these days.

Your reasoning does show maturity, but I am going to say go ahead and get the Powell.  Spend money on nice things like that while you can.  I assume you live with your parents, have few or no bills, and no responsibilities to speak of.  If I could have spent all the money I wasted when I was younger on some nice rods and reels I'd actually have something to show for it.  Go ahead and get them while you have the money...once you have a mortgage, car payment, etc there might not be room for luxuries like that.

worse yet think of the $$ you wasted on girlfriends back then :D

I hear ya, and I was in the same boat. When I first started BPS Spiral Graphite, Shimano Stimula and Diawa Heartland rods were my staple. I too had plans to upgrade my gear, but then college happened, and buying new gear was not even on the radar. When I finally graduated and got a job, then I started to invest in some really sweet gear since my old gear was really worn out. Over the past few years I have put together a nice arsenal of higher end technique specific rods. Now with a mortgage and kid, I am having to get gift cards on my birthday to buy fishing gear since my priorities and spending have changed.

You have a good attitude, and I have a friend that uses lightning rods and loves them.

Heck I went out and dropped 90$ for my mojo bass casting rod. and needed a spinning setup. Went and got a cherrywood 6'6" M and a okuma reel total around 65$ decided I hated the cherrywood, way to flimsy so I went with a lightning 6' MH and absolutly love it.

Hands down the lightning is wayyyyy better than a cherrywood IMHO.

Fishing isn't about gear for the most part; gear is another hobby in itself.  Similarly to cars.  Some use their cars to get from A to B....some customize and show their cars.  Some (like me) use them for both.  

Fishing isn't about gear for the most part; gear is another hobby in itself. Similarly to cars. Some use their cars to get from A to B....some customize and show their cars. Some (like me) use them for both. However, unlike cars, money won't make you a better fisherman.  Money will indeed make your car faster....and the reason I got out of that hobby.  

I have a few high end bc combos, worth 300-500 each, and I use a lightning rod for my one spinning rig, and it hasn't let me down yet.  I too have had no readon to upgrade it cuz it's worked out so well for me.  You'll be happy with a lightning rod!

You have far more self control than I do. I'm glad you are able to understand and realign your priorities. Don't worry, you'll be able to get some sweet gear soon.

2X

I can think of some grown ups that should think that way and they would not be losing there homes. Good head on your shoulders for a teen :D