Sign in to follow this  
fishfordollars

Line Management

This crossed my mind this morning and thought I would share with everyone. I cannot remember the last time I had my line broken and will share the reasons I think are behind it.

First, I fish only braid(Power Pro and Suffix), mono (Trilene "Big Game"), and Trilene 100% fluorocarbon.

When purchasing a line I only buy from large volume outlets(BPS, Academy, Dicks, etc.). Hopefully this guarantees that I have not purchased an older, out of date spool.

I have learned to read the shelf life dates(Manufacturing dates) for my mono so I can purchase a spool of line that has not set on the shelf for long periods ensuring that I get the freshest line in stock. Whether it makes a difference or not I look for the spools that are hidden in the back of the shelf out of site of the stores lighting.

At home the spools will stay in a place that is out of sunlight and away from extreme temperature variances and I mark the date of purchase on each spool. I set the spools up to ensure that I always use the oldest spool first thus ensuring that I rotate them exactly as to the time purchased.

Every reel I fish has the date marked that the line was installed. This only comes into play with the braid as I change line almost daily when fishing more than one day in a row with mono. Yep, if it gets fished much at all the line comes off in the evening and replaced. During the day blowups, rod guides, hooks, fish, and underwater issues take a toll on the line. It's cheap so I replace it. Get yourself a good spooler and it takes very little time. I also use a backing on all my reels to cut down on the total line usage and the amount. Heck a spool of "Big Game(900 yards) only cost 7.00-9.00.

I won't say I retie after each fish caught, but I watch it close and try to after several have been hooked or caught. If I do not replace the mono on a reel after a day on the water, I certainly will strip ten feet or so off the reel and retie before the next days fishing.

I know floro is expensive, but I have very little confidence in it's ability to withstand a days fishing, so it definitely comes off if it has been blown up or fished around a lot of heavy cover. It may be me, but I have major problems if I leave it on a reel for several days. It tends to keep it's memory(At least it does for me) and I have problems with the kinks and blowups if I do not change it out.

Braid is another story(Are you listening Long Mike?) in that I will fish it for a month but no longer. I never turn it around on the spool like I have seen a lot of anglers do, I just replace it. I will retie it several times a day just like I do the mono. When it loses it's color I take a permanent magic marker and color sections of it. This is just something I do to keep my confidence up.

Sorry for the long post. Just thought it might help someone else that may be having problems. I'm not trying to tell everyone that they need to replace the line each and every time they hit the water. This is just something I have done for years and it keeps me out of trouble when that big fish decides to hook up.

Good luck,

Jack

I would sure hope you don't have line failure with that replacement rate :D

Try Yo-Zuri Hybrid. I replace it "as needed", but never

respool for age or usage. I had a terrible break-off

last season, but that was my fault, I disregarded an

obvious burr. #4 (.009" diameter) is unforgiving,

especially when fighting the smallmouth of a lifetime!

Otherwise, I have NEVER been broken off by a fish.

8-)

I am near the reverse. I rarely change lines unless the reel spool needs more line for efficient casting. Rods, reels and line are kept out of sunlight and exreme temperatures. The only time my reels see sunshine is on the boat deck and ocassionally casting practice.

I do watch for nicks carefully and cut the line back often. The last time I was broken off by a fish was during my light line phase nearly 50 years ago.

I lost one fish that took a light jig and a pork strip and wrapped my 2 # mono around some weeds. Shortly after I hooked a monster northern using 8 # braid(not todays braid). In those days there were no drags bait casting reels. The fish was headed for a big tree laydown and I figured I either turned it or it would break off in the tree. I hadboth thunbs squezzing down on the reel when the line popped.

I've been bit off a few times but that is to be expected when you fish where there are toothy critters and don't use a metal leader of some sort.

I will check line from time to time by tying it to some thing pretty stout and pulling until it breaks. If it doesn't break at the kn ot the line is suspect.

8-)

Thanks Kent. I've had that on my mind for a while, just havn't taken the plunge. Will pick up some and let you know what I think about it. Anything I need to know about it before I spool it up? Is it stiff, or do I need to treat it with KVD?

Thanks,

Jack

I would sure hope you don't have line failure with that replacement rate :o

Like I said, it's not for everyone. Just comfortable with this setup. I will also change the line if I spool one up and don't fish it if it sits in the boat or garage for a couple of weeks.

8-)

Thanks Kent. I've had that on my mind for a while, just havn't taken the plunge. Will pick up some and let you know what I think about it. Anything I need to know about it before I spool it up? Is it stiff, or do I need to treat it with KVD?

Thanks,

Jack

It needs KVD, but #12 (.013" diameter, 19.5 lbs breaking

strength) is very manageable on a baitcaster. If most of

your water is clear, buy green. If your water is mostly

stained, smoke purple. Or if you just want to mess with

the guys, it comes in pink, too!

8-)

I've been broke off many times, but probably not due to line failure but larger fish. Being "cut off" is common.

Do you partial spool your main line on your reels? Reason I ask is I cannot understand an entire spool of line having enough wear to need replacement after one day of fishing. Not being judgemental, just trying to understand your process better. It would seem more economical to only replace half, or even less line if you did so after a single day.

Hey Jack, I'm glad to see that there's someone a bit more OCD than I am about fresh line.

I keep el cheapo backing line on almost all my reels; topping off with about 75 yards, at most, of fresh line.

Even with that, I go through two 1000yd spools of #10 and two of #12 every year. Plus 330yds of 6, 8 and 14.

Nice to see I'm not alone.

I replace line "as needed". That generally means 80-100 yards

at a time. I want two casting distances plus some margin. Some

of my backing is pretty old!

8-)

Do you partial spool your main line on your reels? Reason I ask is I cannot understand an entire spool of line having enough wear to need replacement after one day of fishing. Not being judgemental, just trying to understand your process better. It would seem more economical to only replace half, or even less line if you did so after a single day.

All of my reels have backing on them. Out of a dozen if I fish 4-6 hard  those will be the ones I change. If the others just lay in the boat they will not get changed. They will; however, get respooled before I go the next weekend or the week after. Line is cheap(Well some of it is), so I don't worry at all. What I really worry about is the number of blowups that failure to change will cause over the next several days of fishing if I do not change it out.

I replace line "as needed". That generally means 80-100 yards

at a time. I want two casting distances plus some margin. Some

of my backing is pretty old!

8-)

Some of the backing on several of mine must be several years old.

One thing I failed to mention...

I NEVER tie a knot in my spool. All I do is attach the end to the backing with a piece of tape. Don't want a knot anywhere in the spool.

I'm sure some think I'm crazy, but I am very anal when it comes to anything about my line. I also check each rod guide with a qtip regurarly, and never hook a lure to the rod guide.

One thing I failed to mention...

I NEVER tie a knot in my spool. All I do is attach the end to the backing with a piece of tape. Don't want a knot anywhere in the spool.

I'm sure some think I'm crazy, but I am very anal when it comes to anything about my line. I also check each rod guide with a qtip regurarly, and never hook a lure to the rod guide.

That is not a bad idea, but I think it really depends on the species you are targetting.  For example, that is not an issue fishing for bass and panfish. I agree that there is no real need to join the lines. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.

However, if you try this against species that can make short work of a 200 sized casting reel like a king or chum salmon, that is a recipe for a guaranteed mark in the loss column if the fish pulls off enough line.

I speak from experience about getting a 200 curado spooled by a brutish chum salmon in which the spool was filled to optimum capacity.  To be fair, knot or not, it wouldn't have mattered in this fight.  ;D

BTW, it was perhaps one of the best battles, all 22 minutes of it (and yes, I timed it) I have ever had against a fish. I tipped off my hat and gave it a salute.