Sign in to follow this  
s13john

spinning delima

well im stuck. i just got a abu vengeance spinning rod from TW but i dont know what reel to go with. ive been eyeing the sahara 2500 and  the pflueger president. but i figuerd id get some insight to some other peoples opinions. it will be a doo all set up from rock hoping the james or finess stuff and the budget is about <$75. also if anyone has some they want to get rid of let me know. ;D

john

I got a Shimano Sedona in the spring and have been using it exclusively this year for spinning. It is a great reel. For $60 I don't think it can be beat. I have heard the president is a great reels, but I cant tell you much because I have never used one.

I'm tempted to try out Doug Hannons Wave Spin reels. I've seen the videos on them and it looks as if you don't get birds nests line twist problems from them. They have a 2 year unconditional warranty and they come with a nice spinning reel cover that goes over the reel while it's on the rod. I have heard a lot of good info about the wave spins.

Rod will balance with an Abu Garcia Soron, this is what they were designed for and its what I would use. I have several Abu spinning reels and never a problem. It would cost about $100, a little more than your budget. If the money is too much you could get a 600 series Abu for $80. They sell them factory reconditioned on Pure Fishings outlet at ffo-tackle. com for less than $50. A great combo for under $100, good luck and great fishing.

Simmons Sporting Goods you can find them on Ebay has a quanitity of Quantum Catalyst PTiA's for 49.99 that is about 100 bucks off retail

Pflueger Supreme, President XT, President.

well im stuck. i just got a abu vengeance spinning rod from TW but i dont know what reel to go with. ive been eyeing the sahara 2500 and the pflueger president. but i figuerd id get some insight to some other peoples opinions. it will be a doo all set up from rock hoping the james or finess stuff and the budget is about <$75. also if anyone has some they want to get rid of let me know. ;D

john

Either one you mentioned will do.

well i ended up getting a sahara 1000.. seems really nice but ill see when i get it on the water some time this week. baitmonkey has been hitting hard lately and not sure its off my back yet. ;D ;D ;D

well i ended up getting a sahara 1000.. seems really nice but ill see when i get it on the water some time this week. baitmonkey has been hitting hard lately and not sure its off my back yet. ;D ;D ;D

might be a little light for bigger fish. a 2500 series might be a better pick.

how so ... just curious. gunna spool it with some 10=2 power pro hopefully will do from everything from bluegill to some large and smallmouths. 

You'll be fine w/ the 1000 series reel.  The deal with the bigger reels is with spool diameter, and less snarl with fluoro line.  For light line, you'll be fine.

I think you will be fine with the Sahara 1000 as well. I have one on a 7' ML Cabelas XML rod with Spiderwire 20 = 6 and haven't had a problem with it at all. Great Reel for the money.