Sign in to follow this  
Hornytoad 10

new pitchin' rod

i'm in the market for a new pitchin' rod but don't know what i want, the main cover in the lake i fish is wood and i mostly pitch jigs, :) i'm torn between a powell, or a dobyns, any suggestions are welcome.

Pitching is just a casting technique, and can be done with just about any rod, spinning and casting.  What would help more if you said what you were pitching too.  Wood, grass pockets, under docks, overhanging branches, etc. all would benefit from different rod characteristics.  In general though, a longer rod is beneficial.

Really depends what your price range is. If you can afford to spend more, definitely go with Dobyns. The new G2 rods are amazing.

I pitch more then I do any other type of casting. Any rod you can pitch with, but it depends what you're going to be pitching that should determine what rod you get.

I like 7'3 - 7'6 rods for pitching, I get a little more distance, and my accuracy is much better.

What baits are you planning on pitching?

I just switched from a 7'6''H Castaway Big Show to a Powell 766.  The reason I did was that I found out I don't like braid and the Powell has a XF action compared to the slower action of the Castaway.

I have a 7'6" heavy flipping rod sitting in my garage for the last couple years; it's too stiff for the baits I'm pitching (1/4-1/2 oz), doesn't load at all. I'm using in stead a 7ft MH Fenwick HMG; it works a lot better for me. I'm pitching 90% of the time in weeds, and the MI bass are not that big that I can't handle them with a med-heavy rod.

I use a 7'6" Falcon Lowrider M bc rod for pitching 1/4 oz and upto 1/2 oz craws. I like the leverage the longer rod gives me, and will use my 7' MH Avid if I get heavier than that. If I ever get that ever elusive boat, I'll switch to a legit pitching rig.