Sign in to follow this  
JigMe

Senko Reel/Rod combo

Hi Guys, I need some help finding a decent combo for senko fishing and would use it for other plastic as well. I prefer to buy a spinning combo, since it is for my wife and I am sure she doesn't want to use baitcaster.

And my budget is at 150-200 dollars, any help would be appraised it. I looked at shamino. Would I be able to get a decent set with my budget level?

Mine is a 6'6" MH spinning rod with a spinning reel (of course  ::)).

Don't know the names of the two; got them at Dick's for $10.00.  Odd thing is it will probably catch more fish than my high dollar Carrot Stix.

:-?

a'ight! thx for the advice.

But, how long does that set last? My first rod was from Dick's and lasted me a year, well I was only 10 when my dad bought me that set.  ;D

The rod is in better condition than the reel.  So far it has lasted about 2 years.  Probably could last a few more pending on how much I increase my usage of it.

Go to BPS, you can get a pflueger president reel on an extreme rod for 129.99 or so, maybe less if there is a sale. It will last just fine.

edit:  link to BPS online through BR and you get a good deal while supporting BR sponsors.

Go to BPS, you can get a pflueger president reel on an extreme rod for 129.99 or so, maybe less if there is a sale. It will last just fine.

edit: link to BPS online through BR and you get a good deal while supporting BR sponsors.

Great combo 

edit: link to BPS online through BR and you get a good deal while supporting BR sponsors.

Great combo

I agree.  8-)I have 1 used for shaky heads and 1 for wacky rigging senko style baits.

Both are 6'6" M-F/President 6730 reels

I wouldn't over think it too much.  Get her a combo that feels right to her, and will last.  I think you'd do well to spend about $120.  Save the rest for hooks and bait :)

I wouldn't over think it too much. Get her a combo that feels right to her, and will last. I think you'd do well to spend about $120. Save the rest for hooks and bait :)

Thanks, I will take her to BPS and let her pick.

Would you guys prefer one piece or two piece rod? Is there a difference between those two for senko fishing? Thx guys.

The one piece, two piece debate comes up every so often with not much out come. Its all opinionated, so I'll give mine.

I have all one piece rods, smallest at 6' and the longest at 7'2". I drive a mazda 6 and if its just me and my dog we're good on space. Could actually fit a few more rods and two more bodies.

I prefer one piece over two because in my mind a two piece can't be AS sensative as a one. Let the debate roll on.

I took my wife to the BPS, and she can't decide on the handle. Would different handle make any difference for casting difference?

Yeah, it will make a difference as far as comfort is concerned.  I would not worry about getting a split grip or eva, and instead get a nice cork handle that she feels comfortable holding and casting.

Kool. Thanks.

I use a 6'6" Med XF Compre with a Symetre 2500 for weightless senkos, tubes, most light finesse fishing. You can get that combo for about 2bills, and that guy that put the link on has a sweet deal too.

For Senkos I really think it comes down to the rod quality more than quality of the reel, so I would recommend a Pflueger President reel for 60 bucks and a Shimano Crucial rod. This might come out to a little over your budget, but that is an amazing rod for the money. Get this setup and you may be wanting it for yourself.  ;D