Sign in to follow this  
Kowen117

Spinning into casting

Is it Possible to turn a spinning rod into a casting or can i just stick a casting reel on it? thanks

sure, but you'd have to remove the guides and put new ones on...

just buy a casting rod.

just buy a casting rod.

why would i have to put new guides on???????

just buy a casting rod.

look at a spinning rod. Then look at a casting rod. Notice that the guides are different. There is a reason for that. Technically you could use a spinning rod with a casting reel, but it wouldn't work as well as it could on a regular casting rod. I imagine the spine of the rod and the guide positioning could also lead to premature breakage.

i also wonder about how the guides are mounted on the spine of the rod. seams to be the action would be killed.

i could be wrong.

just buy a casting rod.

look at a spinning rod. Then look at a casting rod. Notice that the guides are different. There is a reason for that. Technically you could use a spinning rod with a casting reel, but it wouldn't work as well as it could on a regular casting rod. I imagine the spine of the rod and the guide positioning could also lead to premature breakage.

what he said. i didnt read down far enough.

As I have understood it, when you build a rod the spine's orientation only needs to be in line with the guides. This is the case for both casting and spinning.

As far as I know the only difference would be that a spinning reel needs larger first and second guides. I suppose it's possible that some vibration between the reel and stripping guide might occur with a casting reel and affect distance some.

Once up on a time, I used a 6foot MH spinning rod interchangeably with both spinning and casting reels. Both worked just fine.

I thought the spine was always supposed to be on top?  (meaning on the same side as the guides on a casting rod and on the opposite side of the guides on a spinning rod)

Where are the rod builders when you need them?!?

While some builders still take the Effective Spine** of a rod into consideration most are now building using the straightest axis

Spine **

Or "Effective Spine" is an effect created by several manufacturing anomalies. The result is that the rod blank will favor bending along a particular axis when load is applied.

To answer the posters question, yes you can make a casting rod out of a spinning rod.

But like has been stated, you would have to remove the large single foot spinning guides and re-wrap new smaller profile casting guides.

This without proper preparations of the blank could be costly down the line with failures.

Best to leave the rod the way it is and as stated purchase a casting rod...

Tight Lines!!!