Sign in to follow this  
Bassnajr

Shimano Curado 201e5 was is it ever made...different model number??

Hey all...

I have been looking to buy one of these reels (the 5:0.1, LH) is it still made? Have the changed the model number? I love my 201e7 and figured I'd get the same reel with different gear ratio but..... :D

They never made it.

The only Curado E that comes in left hand retrieve is the E7 that you own.

Dan is right on....

They never did make a CU-E5 lefty, only in right hand...

Tight Lines!!!!

We lefties don't have much in the Shimano line to choose from. :D I have a Sol that I use for light/shallow cranking, but have yet to pick up a reel for deep cranks. Here are some that I have researched:

BPS Extreme (23" IPT)

Curado 201DPV (21")

Chronarch 101BPV (?)

Daiwa Sol (23.6")

Daiwa Crazy Cranker/High Power (22")

Revo Winch (?)

Hope this helps

I found this on Google search...now I am more confused????

CURADO E BAITCASTING REELS: (ICAST 2008 New Product Showcase winner Best of Show, Best Freshwater Reel) Redesigned with a more compact design making them easier to palm and provide all-day fishing comfort, Shimano intros the five new Curado reels. The series includes the high speed 7.0:1 CU200E7 and 201E7, the cranking 5.0:1 CU200E5 and 201E5, the larger capacity CU300E and 301E. The 200 size reels weigh in at 7.6-ounces.

Features on all reels include HEG, Super Free, VBS, plus shielded stainless steel bearings and an A-RB bearing on the pinion gear to prevent saltwater intrusion.

Retail prices: CU200E7, 201E7, 200E5, 201E5 - $179.99; CU300E, 301E - $249.99

That's an error. Send Bantam1 a PM if you have to hear it from the horse's mouth.

The daiwa zillion crazy cranker is a good crankbait reel, I have one. It's not the most powerful reel out there but its smooth and casts small stuff a mile. Took me a few tries to get mine setup right but now I like it alot. Check and see if its available in left hand models. Whats great about daiwa is that they are smooth right out of the box unlike shimano which need to be broken in. Not to mention shimano curados are made of graphite which isnt as nice as aluminum or magnesium.

The daiwa zillion crazy cranker is a good crankbait reel, I have one. It's not the most powerful reel out there but its smooth and casts small stuff a mile. Took me a few tries to get mine setup right but now I like it alot. Check and see if its available in left hand models. Whats great about daiwa is that they are smooth right out of the box unlike shimano which need to be broken in. Not to mention shimano curados are made of graphite which isnt as nice as aluminum or magnesium.

ugh, here we go.

and graphite not being "as nice as aluminum or magnesium" is awfully general. Each has pros and cons.

Dan,

That is not the only reference to the reel I found on the WWW. Maybe they were going to make it and didn't??? Thanks for your input.

Graphite sideplates

Dan,

That is not the only reference to the reel I found on the WWW. Maybe they were going to make it and didn't??? Thanks for your input.

I've seen Bantam1 say that Shimano has no plans to make one. I've never seen anything about them having plans to make them. My guess is that some people posted about a 201E5 based on their assumption that they would make both the E5 and E7 in a left hand model.

I seems to me that the majority of pure low geared cranking reels are only available in RH models Curado, Quantums "Power" Energy, BPS David Fritts crakin reel, and alot of the BPS reels....just to name a few.  There are LH reels in low gears Abu Winch, Crazy Cranker, BPS Extreme but far less than RH.

We, being left handed users, must have to switch to get what we want...  It's sad, but it's true.  I am a right handed person, but have always fished left...  It's weird, but it's the way I learned.  I have to use both left and right handed reels to keep up with what I throw, and it's a hard adjustment, but we have to learn it, to keep up...  Trust me, trying to pitch or flip left handed, is so hard to learn, so I learned it in right...  :D  Though, when I just cast my right handed reels, I still cast it as I would my left handed reels...  Strange stuff...

Someone needs to tell the large corporations that there are more left handed fishermen, and women, casting left handed, than they think! 

What are you talking about? There are plenty of options available for those of us who use left-hand retrieves. The Curado E5 is one of the few reels that isn't available in both options.

I have yet to find a company that offers more than one left hand reel...  I mean, the market is dominated by right handed people... So of course, there is more demand...