Sign in to follow this  
Rebel Angler

**Rod Help**

With Christmas just around the corner. I figured I'd go ahead an start my Christmas list, and this year all I'm askin for is fishin stuff.

I'm wantin to get some new rods and since that's all I'm askin for I know I'll be able to get a few. I don't want any one rod over 80 bucks so I can get more than one or two.

Does anybody have some rods they could recommend?

I' like for all the rods I end up getting to cover every fishin strategy. For example shallow/deep crankin, spinners, frogs/topwaters, jigs, drop shot, all types of plastics, etc. If possible I'd like one rod to be able to double up on it's uses, and not be just limited to one technique.

Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it!

In that price range I'd say Shimano Clarus, IM-7 graphite rods. $70-$80 depending on whether you get 6'6" or 7' lengths. $80 starts the 7' lengths, $70 is 6'6" and less.

They make them in several actions and powers so they would cover a variety of techniques. Also they have lifetime warranties so that's a BIG plus. You can get 2 piece versions or 1 piece versions. They also have hardloy guides so they will work well with braided line, or mono, or fluorocarbon, or whatever you want to use.

You can get them with a medium power and fast tip which would cover a lot of uses (for me that would be topwaters, jerkbaits, 1/4 oz. crankbaits, 1/4 oz. spinnerbaits and buzzbaits, light weight texas rigs), or go a little heavier with a medium heavy power for deeper water jigging, and heavier spinnerbaits and buzzbaits, also texas rigging with larger plastics, and even using frogs.

Although, if you could swing $100 per stick I'd step up to the Shimano Compre (IM-8 graphite) over the Clarus just so you can open up the door to some other "special" rods such as a rod specifically for crankbaits with a softer action, and to me the Compre rods seem lighter in weight as well which helps improve sensitivity. They have even more actions and powers available than the Clarus and also have more tapered handles which feel more comfortable to me.  But if you like a thicker handle then the Clarus might be for you instead.

Either one is a great rod though, lifetime warranties on both of them.

I went back and searched and come up with a post by roadwarrior that is a very good description of needed rods.

roadwarrior wrote on Nov 5th, 2009 at 6:36am:

You really only need three rods:

1.  Spinning rig: 6 1/2' or 7' Medium Power/ Fast Action;

Stradic CI4). For all weightless soft plastics and light lures.

SJR783S or SJR843S

2.   Baitcasting: 7' Medium Power/ Moderate Action;

Revo SX reel. For all treble hooks.

CRB843C

3.   Baitcasting:  7' Heavy Power/ Fast Action;

Shimano CTE200GT. For jigs, weighted soft plastics

and just about anything up to an ounce or so.

MBR844C

And I have to agree that pretty well sums it up. Just pick out your favorite brands but the actions he said are pretty well right or at least in my opinion.

In that price range I'd say Shimano Clarus, IM-7 graphite rods. $70-$80 depending on whether you get 6'6" or 7' lengths. $80 starts the 7' lengths, $70 is 6'6" and less.

They make them in several actions and powers so they would cover a variety of techniques. Also they have lifetime warranties so that's a BIG plus. You can get 2 piece versions or 1 piece versions. They also have hardloy guides so they will work well with braided line, or mono, or fluorocarbon, or whatever you want to use.

You can get them with a medium power and fast tip which would cover a lot of uses (for me that would be topwaters, jerkbaits, 1/4 oz. crankbaits, 1/4 oz. spinnerbaits and buzzbaits, light weight texas rigs), or go a little heavier with a medium heavy power for deeper water jigging, and heavier spinnerbaits and buzzbaits, also texas rigging with larger plastics, and even using frogs.

Although, if you could swing $100 per stick I'd step up to the Shimano Compre (IM-8 graphite) over the Clarus just so you can open up the door to some other "special" rods such as a rod specifically for crankbaits with a softer action, and to me the Compre rods seem lighter in weight as well which helps improve sensitivity. They have even more actions and powers available than the Clarus and also have more tapered handles which feel more comfortable to me. But if you like a thicker handle then the Clarus might be for you instead.

Either one is a great rod though, lifetime warranties on both of them.

id agree with that pick. Cabelas Tourey Trail rods also wouldnt be the worst idea ever. ive fished those for years.

Yeah I've heard alot of good things about the Vendetta series.

If I were to go with choosin all Vendetta rods, what rods should I go with to be able to do all fishin styles like i mentioned before?