Sign in to follow this  
broncoboxer

Freshwater Rod used in the salt?

This is probably a dumb question, but are there any major problems with using a bass rod (a 6' 7" MH Carrot Stix) for inshore fishing?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rinse with the hose when you are done.

Yes!.....it's ok for a while even if you rinse but the guides will rust out or get brittle and crack, which just happened to me and I always rinse. I like this rod so much I'm going to replace all the guides.

I don't think you you will have any problem with a carrot stick, I would not hesitate to use it.  What is your target species and where will you be fishing, beach, flats on a boat, pier?

Yes!.....it's ok for a while even if you rinse but the guides will rust out or get brittle and crack, which just happened to me and I always rinse. I like this rod so much I'm going to replace all the guides.

I don't think you you will have any problem with a carrot stick, I would not hesitate to use it. What is your target species and where will you be fishing, beach, flats on a boat, pier?

Target species will include: Red Fish, Spotted Sea Trout, Weak Fish, an occasional Striper or flounder and whatever else happens to bite.  ;)

Most of my fishing would probably be around bridges and grassy flats, though there will be occasional boat trips up to the outer banks (Nags Head; Oregon Inlet).

I have freshwater rods that I've fished inshore for 10+ years and never had a problem. Like what was already mentioned, rinse after EVERY trip. Same goes for saltwater inshore rods. Most of the "inshore" series of rods have the same components as regular freshwater rods. Some of the higher end models will use titanium frames but most don't.

What you really need to pay close attention to is your reel. 

All great info here..

Just an after thought..

After the rinse and dry, a coating of silicone is applied to the blank and guides..

(I use a Birchwood Casey® Gun & Reel Silicone Cloth)

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/index.html

Tight Lines!!!