Sign in to follow this  
bounder5150

Inexpensive Bass Rods and Reels

Dicks usually has a Abu Garcia Silver Max with a Berkley lighting rod combo for around 60 bucks...  I bought one last year and it still works great.

If I were you I would invest in a berkley lightning SHOCK rod. As far as I'm concerned it ranks in my book with kistler and carrot sticks but everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I posted a thread similar to this one and someone gave me the same advice that I'm giving you and I dont regret listening to them one bit. the rod runs about 40 something on average. I would then get me an Abu Garcia 5500 C reel from walmart or any other carrier. You should be able to find one of them for about 30 to 40 bucks. The combo should cost you around 80 bucks... which is about as cheap as you can go and get a really nice set up. Just keep this in mind but dont rule out anyone else's opinion either.  :)

Thanks for the feedback

any opinions on the berkley Tactix line that is technique specific and what about the max series low profile reels,, all these seem fairly reasonable too.

Dicks usually has a Abu Garcia Silver Max with a Berkley lighting rod combo for around 60 bucks... I bought one last year and it still works great.

This is some good advice, these were my first two set ups and for the money I dont think there is anything better. the reels are smooth and really easy to learn with. HOWEVER, personally i would rate them as a temporary investment. This is based on my experience, I bought one 3 seasons ago and fished it hard, i took good care of it, but definitely used it a lot. It lasted me the season and then the reel crapped out. but I loved the performance while it worked, so i ended up buying another one this time the cork on the rod broke.. if you are looking for an inexpensive set up as a temporary fix then there is nothing better than this. However coming from personal experience and if money is a bit more flexible i would suggest putting that money toward a more reliable set up that is going to last. Take a look around ***.com they are having a 20% off entire stock sale right now and you can certainly get a great deal on a set up right now. I would look at the wright and mcgill tessera rods great rod for great price and maybe a shimano citca, the whole set up for around 160 and that is great! for spinning set up for a reel look at the pflueger president and a falcon bocoo for your rod, again all on sale at ***. Good luck!

I love my Tactix rods but now Cabela's has the Berkley Series 1 rods for less than I paid for the Tactix.So now I have two of those and I like them as well

Thanks fo all the feed back! I took advantaqge of that deal for the Revo STX for $99.00 that just seemed like to good of a deal to pass up. I'll keep you postd on what rod i decide to put it on!

Go to BPS and check out every level of their house brand stuff. There are outfits to fit any budget, you can pick what you feel is your best deal.

Guest beowulfx71

Do not buy a Berkely rod, I purchased a Bionix rod this spring at Walmart for a spare and after about 12 casts it broke in two, so I sent it to Pure Fishing and they sent me another one that did the exact same thing after 10 casts. Look for a St Croix Triumph, Daiwa Tierra, or a Shimano Clarus.

For a reel look for an orange Daiwa Capricorn on ebay or at Dicks Sporting Goods-Dicks use to sell it for $58-its an all metal reel that will last-the abu max reels I believe are plastic. Oh and the Daiwa Procaster Rojo is basically the same reel and it pops up on ebay all the time.

Bass Pro Shop is all ways running deals...check out clearance and their combos

Do not buy a Berkely rod, I purchased a Bionix rod this spring at Walmart for a spare and after about 12 casts it broke in two, so I sent it to Pure Fishing and they sent me another one that did the exact same thing after 10 casts. Look for a St Croix Triumph, Daiwa Tierra, or a Shimano Clarus.

For a reel look for an orange Daiwa Capricorn on ebay or at Dicks Sporting Goods-Dicks use to sell it for $58-its an all metal reel that will last-the abu max reels I believe are plastic. Oh and the Daiwa Procaster Rojo is basically the same reel and it pops up on ebay all the time.

apparently you have used the shock yet. i agree with : BassFishinMagician in his post. I own a variety of rods including GLoomis.