Sign in to follow this  
barroncooper

shimano calcutta 200gtb problems

I recently recieved a repair stock 200gtb from shimano. as soon as I turned the handle a few times i noticed that something was not quite right. not nearly as smooth as new reel. there is a substantial amount of gear whine when moderately cranking. I've replaced with abec7 bearings, new drive and pinion gear and recently lubed. how much gearwhine is acceptable in these reels. I have a well used 200a that doesn't do this. any help on this would be greatly appreciated. it seems that a $230 reel would not exhibit any whine whatsoever. I'm all out of options

I've replaced with abec7 bearings,  new drive and pinion gear and recently lubed.  how much gearwhine is acceptable in these reels. I have a well used 200a that doesn't do this.
There is the rub...

Your comparing the crank on a well broken in gear set to a new gear set.

it seems that a $230 reel would not exhibit any whine whatsoever.
That is a bad assumption, I have seen 500.00 Shimano's that were also not smooth and had noisy gear sets..
I'm all out of options
No your not, try fishing the reel and breaking the new parts in.

Good Luck & Tight lines!!!!

I've replaced with abec7 bearings, new drive and pinion gear and recently lubed. how much gearwhine is acceptable in these reels. I have a well used 200a that doesn't do this.
There is the rub...

Your comparing the crank on a well broken in gear set to a new gear set.

it seems that a $230 reel would not exhibit any whine whatsoever.
That is a bad assumption, I have seen 500.00 Shimano's that were also not smooth and had noisy gear sets..
I'm all out of options
No your not, try fishing the reel and breaking the new parts in.

Good Luck & Tight lines!!!!

reel mech i appreciate you atleast getting back to me. it's not a typical gear whine. my fault for not fully explaining. and as for the 200a it has the gears from a 200gtb recently to swiften the gear ratio. so they're less than a month old. it almost acts as if the pinion gear is rubbing on the plastic recess where the spool bearing sits. i was thinking that maybe the spool shaft was minutely bent . it seems to only make the noise when at a certain spot while cranking. also, when there is no tension on the spool, either lure tension, thumb tension or cast control tension, the reel operates as it should. I went to local tackle shop and picked up a brand new one and tightened the cast control all the way and didn't get the noise. i dunno. i'm not knocking shimano in any way. i have 6 calcuttas and will not fish with anything but shimano. best customer svc. i've ever expirienced.

it almost acts as if the pinion gear is rubbing on the plastic recess where the spool bearing sits. i was thinking that maybe the spool shaft was minutely bent . it seems to only make the noise when at a certain spot while cranking. also, when there is no tension on the spool, either lure tension, thumb tension or cast control tension, the reel operates as it should.
The pinion gear base is supposed to sit inside the pinion support bearing, and doesn't but just sits on top of it tell's me the gears are not going to work.

If the pinion base is sitting into the support bearing like it should, as bantam1 suggested for you in the support forum that the yoke could be the problem and the pinion is grinding on it...

I have made many gear set changes lately and have found that the pinion gear when changed needs to have the pinion yoke changed along with drag and key washers, it isn't just the gears that get changes...

Good luck with your upgrades..

Tight Lines!!!