Sign in to follow this  
skunked_again

Orange Seal bearings: Re-Review

ive went out of my way to stay off the band wagons but after replacing the factory spool bearings on my Sol with the orange seal bearing all i can say is wow. these things really make a difference.

i suggest them highly.

Cool.

I wanna get some for the palm plate, cast control bearing, and drive shaft bearing for the Revo I'm working on.

Cool.

I wanna get some for the palm plate, cast control bearing, and drive shaft bearing for the Revo I'm working on.

It would be pointless to replace the cast control bearing, or the drive shaft bearing unless its damaged. They contributes nothing in free spool. You want stainless for those two for smoothness. You want to replace the two spool support bearings for spool speed.

Cool.

It would be pointless to replace the cast control bearing, unless its damaged. It contributes nothing in free spool.

I want to upgrade bearings to increase the over all feel. Including cranking. Not just during free spool.

But a question. How doesn't it? The spool shaft spins. The spool doesn't spin independently of the spool shaft. And the spool shaft is supported on both sides by the palm plate and the bearing behind the cast control or spool tension knob

If you remove the cast control knob, click the thumb bar, and then spin the spool the bearing behind the cast control knob spins with the shaft.

I want to replace the spool bearing too, but I need to get the aftermarket spool here first, before ordering a different bearing for it.

If you want to improve feel, use stainless in those spots.  The ceramics will make the reel feel more mechanical.  This is also the main reason these bearings get packed with grease.  If you've got your reel apart, you'll see why those other bearings do not matter for free spool.  Note part# 49: http://abugarcia.com/product_schematic.php?search=revo&id=239.240&search_submit=Search+%3E%3E#   The bearing for the aftermarket spool should be the same dimensions as the OE bearing.

If you want to improve feel, use stainless in those spots. The ceramics will make the reel feel more mechanical. This is also the main reason these bearings get packed with grease. If you've got your reel apart, you'll see why those other bearings do not matter for free spool. Note part# 49: http://abugarcia.com/product_schematic.php?search=revo&id=239.240&search_submit=Search+%3E%3E# The bearing for the aftermarket spool should be the same dimensions as the OE bearing.

How do you mean more mechanical?

I just assumed that more precise bearings in those locations would improve the overall smoothness of the reel.

I still don't understand how the palm plate, and cast control bearings can't effect free spool. The spool spins with the shaft, and the shaft spings in both the palm plate and cast control bearings....

BTW I'm asking to learn. Not to sound like a ####

You want to upgrade the palm side bearing, and the spool bearing. These two bearings are most critical when the reel is in free spool. That the cast control, pinion bearings spin during the cast is a function of spool tension and "sympathetic" contact. Neither "need" to spin in order for the spool to spin. Mechanical = not as smooth. If the spool shaft was a single piece, and part# 49 was indeed fixed, like on Shimanos, then I'd say go ahead and do all three bearings.

If you want to focus on what the bait is doing, you want to insulate the rest of the gears from the reel handle during the retrieve.

This is just my opinion after working on and upgrading many, many reels, including several Revos.

Ahhhh.....On the S schematic I couldn't find that part. That is part of the spool shaft.

On the S reel it IS fixed. And the spool below doesn't include it. So I would need #49 also when swapping that spool in.

Makes sense now...

post-18794-130162927625_thumb.jpg

Sounds like that's the case. ;)

I agree with J Francho,

The revo-sx is a one piece spool shaft, revo stx has a 2 piece shaft, revo-premiere has a 2 piece shaft, revo-s has a 1 piece spool shaft, revo-inshore has a 2 piece spool shaft. The number #49 part is the second piece of the 2 piece setups.

The need for bearing changes in the reels with 2 piece spool shafts aren't necessary.

BTW the 2 piece spool shaft setup used in some of the Revo' was first introduced by Daiwa®

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!! 

being bored out of my mind and reading other things out there i decided to clean and lube the old Sol spool bearings and re-install them.

i still think there is a difference between the two bearings but for me the things ive learned is:

a good clean/lube goes a long long way.

;)