Sign in to follow this  
Shane J

Before I spool...

Santa dropped me off a new combo, and I would like to hear any tips or advise for things to check or do before I spool her up. I am planning on running 30lb Suffix braid ( I have it right here). Are these reels set to rock right out of the box? I've been following the thread on these reels, and will probably have something to add after I get to throw this thing. I know one thing, This combo feels amazing! The rod is the 7'MH fast Vendetta, and the reel is a Revo SX (undecided on whether to trade it in for a HS). This will be my froggin' setup. Thanks, and hopefully Santa's headed your way!

DSCN1160.jpg

DSCN1161.jpg

sorry for the poor quality pictures. I can't seem to ever get good close up pics of gear.

sorry for the poor quality pictures. I can't seem to ever get good close up pics of gear

most cameras have a macro setting for distances of about 1"-24" +/-

As for the reel, some like to give them a clean and lube to get the factory packing grease out, and some like to just use them...  I'd try it first, worst case is you can still clean it out if needed.

Right on, thanks. How about a backing for the braid? Is it even needed?

Yup.  I've spooled without it, and the slick braid will spin on the spool.

I just use old crap mono leftover from filler spools.

Yup. I've spooled without it, and the slick braid will spin on the spool.

I just use old crap mono leftover from filler spools.

x2, this is where P-Line Floroclear comes in handy. This is about the only use this line can actually do well ;D

Good looking setup bud.  Since you won't have to do much respooling with the braid, I'd like to recommend a way to get it like you want first try.

1. Decide how much braid you want on the reel.  Cut if off and splice it to the backing line. (I use the Alberto's knot but there are many others.)

2. Tape the end of the braid to your reel spool and wind it on.  Wind the backing to the point that the spool is filled the way you like it.

3.  Cut the backing and walk the line across the yard to get it off the reel.

4.  Attach the backing on to the reel spool and rewind the line.

5.  That will eliminate having to much or too little backing on the reel and you are set to go.

Backing is not needed unless you want to topshot and only use a 100 or so yds of braid.  I use tape (never slips) and have no backing on any reel.  Tying over tape or taping line to spool is your choice, I find it makes no difference.

Santa gave you the wrong setup, that was suppose to come to me  ;D

Very nice setup

Recycle any old mono and blood knot to your braid.  Braid is a bit spendy so fill the last 60 to 70 yards, that should be enough.  That gives you 3 fills per 200-250 yard spool.  Don't trade  your SX  for the HS.  The 6.4 to 1  will work just fine. The great thing about your Revo is it has a drag that tests out around 24 pounds.  I forsee Kermit working overtime for you this spring.

Merry Christmas !

Thank you all for the comments. I'm very excited about this setup. I spooled her up as advised with some flouro backing with an Alberto's Knot as Jig Man suggested. Then we went out to the back yard, where I was floored by the smoothness of this real. It could definitely be dangerous, it's so smooth and fast! Thanks everybody, you rock!

My entire Revo collection has never or will never let me down. For  a polite entry into the water to a fast ratio to help me pull that hog out of the pads. Your a very lucky man to be stepping into the revo world.  Thank you mr garcia once again! 8-)

Let us know how you like that rod. I've really had my eye on one of those.

I'll let you know how I like it, but so far in the back yard, IT'S SWEET!!! I love it, and is by far the nicest feeling combo I've ever handled. I have the spinning version of the Vendetta coming at some point from BPS, but they are currently backordered. I just got a Shimano Stradic for that rod, and cannot wait to get them two together!