Sign in to follow this  
Dixon

G loomis Best All around rod

You didn't say what type of fishing and what techniques you were interested so that makes a difference. In my case, I fish open water with smaller baits and I decided to get the GLX MBR842C - 7'mf. However, based on another recent thread about all-around rods, the Loomis experts on this forum pointed to the MBR783C - 6 1/2'mhf. Here's what Loomis says about this rod:

A good Choice for fishing light to medium jigs and worms, the 783 was designed to fish bass, northerns and even walleyes in certain applications. But it also makes a very nice light saltwater rod for snook, redfish and specs. It's powerful, with a light tip, which allows for a good hookset, and still has enough power to move fish away from cover, without feeling too stiff. If we had to choose one casting rod for all of our fishing, the 783 would be our choice.

I may get ONE more Loomis rod to go with my MBR842, and that will be the BCR893 for Senkos and other plastics...

If you haven't yet - browse the Loomis web site - they have recommendations for all their rods.

What is your budget? Do you want your FIRST G Loomis to be a GLX?

Anything around 7' MH is a good all around rod.

I can't say for sure as I haven't used it, but I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy the Mossyback BCR 853. 7'1 MH, XF 3/16-5/8

Thinking about getting my first gloomis rod. Whats there best all around rod.

Like stated it depends on how you fish.  I have 843s and 844s but like my 783 better.  I can use it with lighter jigs, spinnerbaits, buzz baits, tubes, jerks and cranks if I have to.

MBR783C IMX.  Most versatile rod I have ever owned. If you feel the need, jump up to the GLX, however, I don't think the increased performance offsets the increased price.  Even though the IMX's are pricey, I consider them a great value.

I was thinking of a G. Loomis for the drop shot and flick shake.

What do you guys suggest???

Thanks.  ;)

MBR843 IMX if you prefer 7' or the MBR783 IMX if you prefer 6'6". No need to step it up to the GLX unless you have already used one or find a good deal on one IMO.

I was thinking of a G. Loomis for the drop shot and flick shake.

What do you guys suggest???

Thanks. :)

I think those two rods would require different actions. I would want more backbone for wacky/flickshake worms, than for dropshotting. That's just me though....To clarify I guess I should say a faster action for those techniques vs dropshotting.

I don't have the GLX shakey head rod, and still LOVE it. I've got the SHR821S and paired with a 8030 Pflueger supereme it is a very balanced, light, setup with an excellent action.

I'm not sure what size Daiwa or Shimano spinning reel matches that size. Maybe 2500?

I'd love to be able to buy the GLX version and put an Australian market Pflueger Supreme XTS on it. ;)

"Only pros fish GLX.  Your saying start with the imx to get used to G loomis rods."

Lots of anglers use GLX rods that aren't pros.  I have 4 and I am definitely not a pro.