Sign in to follow this  
hmongkidBee

supertuning fishing reels

Hey guys I've been looking online and read about this concept called "supertuning."  It's supposed to help your fishing reels improve casting performance and durability.  Now I wonder if anyone can do it on this website?  I would like to improve my team daiwa advantage 150H reel.  It casts good and is still smooth but I want it to be better.  I want to do it myself but I don't know how to do it or where to start.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ReelMech can super tune your reel, unfortunately there isn 't much room for improvement in your Advantage other than polishing a few parts, changing the drag pads and change the spool supporting bearings.

Start with a professional cleaning, then decide if you want more.

yea it's been professionally cleaned but I would want to upgrade it.  I also have the 153 hst reel as well and is there more options for that reel or is it the same as the 150h

The easiest and most beneficial user upgrade would be Carbontex drag washers.

Those instructions, while not entirely the worst advice, certainly do not give you the best performance gains. By greasing all those contact points, you basically delete the gains from polishing.

Grease the main gear, pinion, idler gear, yoke, yoke posts, and pack frame handle support, pinion support, crankside handle support, and any worm drive bearings with grease. All knob, and spool bearings get oil, as does the worm gear, and any spool engagement/clutch parts.

Also, I've mentioned this before about orange seals....it is really easy to screw up the seal installation. Bearing upgrades, especially spool bearing upgrades are best left to experienced experts.

I think all the "press" about "super tuning" and upgrades has led to more issues from DIY'ers. Probably 80% of all users should leave this to someone more qualified.

Thanks for that link on supertuning.

I did that to my new Fuego, along with adding a bearing to the worm drive (5x8x3 w/a 7x5x2 spacer)

The reel is a bit smoother and it rotates with less resistance. I did also clean and oil the bearings, which sure does make the spool bearings spin more freely

I send all of mine to http://www.proreelservice.com/  he is a great guy to work with and does a heck of a job.  I sent a bunch of old pflueger trions and even a surpreme that was not taken care of and man what a difference.  Supertuning won't help most brand new high end reels, but it will make a world of difference on older or cheaper reels.