Sign in to follow this  
Ineedanewscreenname20170204

Finesse spinning outfit recommendations

I have been fishing exclusively with BC reels for the last couple years but struggle throwing the light stuff (light tubes, trick worms, light cranks...).  I'm looking for one spinning outfit to cover these bases.  I'd like to spend $150 or so on the rod and $100 or so on the reel.  Any suggestions out there?  I'll probably take RW advice on 6# Yozuri Hybrid as the 12# works great on the baitcasters (BTW - 15# works fine for the cats too but that's a different topic...)...

ive been pretty happy with my shimano sehara reel. its like $70-80 in price, but you should go check that out.

my "finesse" spinning setup consists of a Quantum Optix combo, it was cheap and its mostl used as my loaner rod but i allwasy bring it with me in case i have my baitcaster with a crankbait and dont wanna re tie a lot, i use my Baitcaster for everything else i just redial the reel for the lighter stuff. i dod this cause i ve noticed i can cast about the same or better with the baitcaster over the spinning

my "finesse" spinning setup consists of a Quantum Optix combo, it was cheap and its mostl used as my loaner rod but i allwasy bring it with me in case i have my baitcaster with a crankbait and dont wanna re tie a lot, i use my Baitcaster for everything else i just redial the reel for the lighter stuff.

Brujo, you should try swivel clasps if thats what they are called, so you can quickly change lures without retying knots.  it works for me.

My finesse is my shakey head combo. A Shimano Spirex 200FE with a Falcon LowRider shakey head rod.. It's amazing. I highly recommend the rod, but I'd imaging there are a lot of reels that are comparable if not better than the Spirex. It is pretty cool though because it has the dual knob cranking handle like a BC reel.

i have tried the swivel clasps, and i dont like it cause the swivel make my crank baits spin, when my previous spinning rod broke ( shakespeare agility combo) on the first fish i had ever hooked with it while i was waiting for the replacement, i used the swivel snap and i didnt like for the reason mentioned before, so i just took the swivel part of and just used the snap that was better but i find i like having the spinning set up for weighless worms and having the baitcaster for the weighted stuff

same, i lov emy spinning setup for senkos and such and my bc for cranks and other heavy stuff

Shimano Symetre FJ Spin Reel 2500. it took me a season to get used to spinning gear but now i love the thing for tubes and smaller trick worms.

that price range for a rod youre going to have a large selection. i liked the Wright & McGill spinning rods. i also like the Falcon Lowrider series as well. id go out of your way to handle the rods before you buy them.

Daiwa Exceler/Tierra spinning reels are fantastic performers.  Cabela's Prodigy by Daiwa probably lands inbetween these two.

With a bit of searching on-line you can probably find an All Star Platinum or Fenwick Techna AV for about $100 or less.  Although they don't have the bells & whistles of some of the new $100 rods, they are well respected options.