Sign in to follow this  
bigtimfish

Fluorocarbon leader????

I was watching a fishing show earlier today and the woman said she was using fireline with a fluorocarbon leader. The fluoro I use is fireline. Would someone use a fluoro leader with braid? If so why? And I am a little green when it comes to fluoro so maybe I don't understand the whole leader idea, can someone please help me understand. Do you tye on a certain length of fluoro to a swivel then to the line on your rod? Im so confused.

Yes i use flouro leaders with braid on occassion.Flouro has little stretch but braid has less.I use about an 18-24"flouro leader when fishing clear water so i get the low stretch of braid and the invisibility of flouro.not sure if the invisibility is truly necessary but I feel better using it.As far as tying I use a uni to uni knot.You can see it tied on youtube.The knot passes easily through the rod guides if tied correctly.

I have braid on my swimbait rig. 55# braid with 12lb fluro..I also use a uni to uni knot to attach the fluro to the braid..Although I fish stained water 99% of the time..I like the leader for a shock absorber.

No stretch with braid, makes it a good line to use for any bottom fishing imho..

I'll use a flouro leader on a texas or carolina rig in clear water because its less visible than braid. You can use a barrel swivel, but I prefer a line to line knot like an albright knot because it's strong and small enough to fit through the rod guides.

The fluoro I use is fireline.

Last I knew, Fireline was a fused superline, not a fluoro.

Some people use leaders with superlines, some don't. I personally don't use a leader with my braid because I don't feel the braid's visibility deters strikes.

You need to do whatever gives you more confidence. I'm unaware of any definitive evidence on the value (or lack of same) of using leaders.

There is 3 main reasons to fish with with a flouro leader on braid....  1. Braid lasts longer then flouro and mono. Its made up of a couple of strands compared to one stand of mono/flouro. You are only changing a four foot leader instead of a whole spool..Saves money in the pocket. 2. Like hammer said. Braid has no stretch so adding a flour leader gives you a shock absorber. 3. Clear water, braid is a great tool its extremely sensitive so you feel everything but in clear water the line is visible. Do bass see the line? I dont know but Im not taking a chance..

The fluoro I use is fireline.

Last I knew, Fireline was a fused superline, not a fluoro.

Some people use leaders with superlines, some don't. I personally don't use a leader with my braid because I don't feel the braid's visibility deters strikes.

You need to do whatever gives you more confidence. I'm unaware of any definitive evidence on the value (or lack of same) of using leaders.

Well that's a bummer. I thought it was fluoro. If I use it on a rod that has fuji guides will superline cut grooves in the guides like regular braid? As of now I use it on a vendetta and a BPS extreme, I don't know what kind of guides they are but I know they are not titanium. Are my rods ok to use with this line?

Braid/ superlines should not affect guides on better rods. They only afferct the cheaper guides.

Do bass see the line? I dont know but Im not taking a chance..

There's -0- doubt that they see the line. The unanswered question is whether or not the sight of the line deters them from striking.

Braid/ superlines should not affect guides on better rods. They only afferct the cheaper guides.

I've used superlines on inexpensive rods ($4050) and the guides haven't been affected.