Sign in to follow this  
Choke Canyon Boy

8 lb test mono too small for Baitcasters???

I just found a great deal on a 3000yd spool of 8lb Trilene Maxx for 25 bucks on EBAY so I bought it. I know this line will be perfect for my Stradics but do you think it is too small diameter for my baitcasters???

you can throw 8lb on a BC but it's easier with 10 or 12, easier to manage

8 is great on spinning, 6 even better  :)

I use it with a Curado 100 and a Daiwa Sol.  Ive used as small as 2lb with a Abu 1500c.  I think you'll do o.k. on models meant for the lighter side.

No.

It 's the weight of the lure whht makes the spool spin and the weight of the lure what makes the rod to load, however, man you need a lot of 8 lbs test to spool a large line capacity reel.

I use 8lb mono on a BPS ProLite reel no problem. I'm probably going to put 6lb on it in the spring. I typically throw 1/6 oz baits on a ML rod and it works great!

No.

It 's the weight of the lure whht makes the spool spin and the weight of the lure what makes the rod to load, however, man you need a lot of 8 lbs test to spool a large line capacity reel.

Raul, nailed it.  Also, be aware of where you are throwing it.  You don't want to be throwing a jig into junk with 8 lb line.

I run 4lb Yozuri Hybrid on my Presso baitcast reel, but like others have said, you'll want to match your line to your entire setup!

Funny, until today I happened to notice your screen name, Choke Canyon Boy, which brings me to this, I 've been several times to Choke Canyon reservoir, so 8 lbs test for fishing in Choke Canyon .... uhhhh, probably not, or at least, not in the places I 've fished there, perhaps for fishing the walls of those old ponds where bass were kept before the lake filled leaving them under water, and not just plain old regular 8 lbs test, P-Line CXX, that would be the kind of 8 lbs test I would use for Choke Canyon.

Haven 't been there for a while but back then when I used to go with relative frequency the place was hang-up paradise.

I use 6lb on my Ambassadeur 1500&2500C's,and on my Premiers without any problems.