Sign in to follow this  
jrobi007

Powell Rods?

I was looking at the Powell website and was wondering what others think of the Powell rods overall.  How comparable to Loomis GL2's are they?  Sensitivity and overall feel?  I was looking at the 6'8'' Medium XF spinning for a dropshot setup and the  Medium Heavy for a utility setup.   

You shouldn't be disappointed with your considerations.

I don't have any experience with the Loomis rods, but have a grip of Powells.  The 2 power rods (682 702) are pretty similar to the 3 powered rods. 681 for dropshot/split shot and 703 for other spinning uses (shakeyheads/flukes/senkos) works pretty well for me. I have a 681, 702 and 703 w/Soron 20's with 10 and 15 lb braid and love them all.

i have never fished with a loomis, but i can guarantee that they are no better than a Powell

i have never fished with a loomis, but i can guarantee that they are no better than a Powell

^ " I'm completely unqualified to make this statement, so I am gonna make it"

I own several rods of both brands, and the Loomis rods above the GL2 line are undoubtedly superior to the Powell.

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!

How comparable to Loomis GL2's are they?

I have fished both and I like the Powell much more than the GL2.  Lighter, more comfortable handle, at least as sensitive, and I like the overall action of the rod more.

I think you would have to get into the  Loomis Mossyback and IMX series to be on par with a Powell. GLX wins hands down. GL3 and under go with a Powell. IMX and Mossyback?, toss up, slight edge to IMX maybe

Overall, I would say that the Powell rods for the money are pretty good.  However, I will add that I would NOT buy them myself because they are extremely (depending on model) tip heavy.  I'm very sensitive to balance and most of these Powell rods feels like a club to me in my hands.  In this regard, I would recommend Dobyns rods.  But they're much more expensive.  However, in a few weeks, they will start selling a lower cost series of rods.  Look for them in your local stores soon.

(BTW, I'm not sponsored by anyone except by my own retirement fund :))

I think you would have to get into the Loomis Mossyback and IMX series to be on par with a Powell. GLX wins hands down. GL3 and under go with a Powell. IMX and Mossyback?, toss up, slight edge to IMX maybe

Although it isn't a spinning rod, I have a Mossyback 803 x-fast action rod and do not like the way it feels to me.  Way too fast of a tip where it gets to the backbone of the rod with not enough bend in the rest of the rod.  Powell's 683C x-fast seems a little softer which is more to my liking.  Not like a buggy whip but just feels better to me. 

Without a reel they do feel a little tip heavy, but are pretty comfortable with a reel mounted on it.  (Fuego)  Would the tip heaviness aid in your casting at all?  Added tip speed?

Again just my opinion, but for the money, I really love my Powells. 

Thank you all for the info.    Since I mainly use baitcasters, Im going to save a few dollars and give the Powell rods a try for my spinning outfits.  Thanks again for all the quick Info.